Hello everyone, The International Freezer Challenge is in full swing thru April 30th. Help the University of Illinois compete while receiving recognition, and a certificate of leadership in Environmental Stewardship.
Registering to participate in the Freezer Challenge is a fun way to stay up-to-date with the latest in sample management, receive recognition for your efforts, and have fun while helping the University of Illinois maintain our world-class standing.
Take 20 sec's Register today!
All lab practices since May 2017 are eligible for points and can be added to your score card.
- Reducing energy consumption, costs, and environmental impact of the lab
- Learning and applying proper cold storage maintenance techniques to help avoid future failures
- Removing unneeded or unviable samples from cold storage units, allowing space to be consolidated or eliminated.
- Reducing costs associated with maintaining extraneous cold storage units.
- Improving researcher access to and security for viable samples.
- Developing ongoing cold storage management practices that support efficiency and maximize lab space utility.
- Awards & National recognition at the I2SL conference for the winning labs in each category
Increasing grant eligibility is another benefit according to How going green can raise cash for your lab a Nature International Journal of Science article, this quote shares an interesting perspective; Ramirez-Aguilar argues that implementing energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable lab practices can be a smart way for researchers to make their grants stand out. It might seem a small detail, but having such procedures in place could make all the difference to the success of your application. “If it makes your proposal look better,” she says, “you’re more likely to get funding.”
For more information contact Paul Foote @ email@example.com F&S Energy Services