You are here
- Stormwater Utility Fee overview
Stormwater Utility Fee overview
Posted by Morgan White on March 16, 2017
The University pays a stormwater utility fee to both the City of Urbana and the City of Champaign. The fee is based on total impervious area that drains into city-owned storm sewers. If stormwater drains into university-owned sewers then directly discharges to a receiving stream, there is no fee assessed.
- The current rate for the City of Champaign is $5.24/3,478 sq ft.
- The current rate for the City of Urbana is $5.14/3,100 sq ft.
There are credits and incentives that the university can apply toward the stormwater utility fee. By maintaining compliance with the university’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Systems (NPDES), the university receives a 5% credit from each city. Additionally, each city has their own Credit and Incentive Manual (attached) which provides an opportunity for the university to reduce their stormwater utility fee by reducing the impact of the runoff from their properties by methods such as installing sustainable storm water practices that allow stormwater to infiltrate into the ground. The manuals have specific guidelines on how to calculate the credits based on the particular stormwater practices that are employed.
- Water and Stormwater SWATeam (View project updates for Water and Stormwater SWATeam)
- Green Infrastructure (View project updates for Green Infrastructure)
- Identify funding for projects without payback (View project updates for Identify funding for projects without payback)
- Stormwater Management Program (View project updates for Stormwater Management Program)