You are here
Traffic Citations (In Progress)
Bicycles riding on streets are required to follow the Illinois Vehicle Code. Off-streets, they must follow the University Bike Code. The University of Illinois Police Department (UIPD) are empowered to issue warnings and citations to cyclists who are not following these respective laws.
The Illinois Vehicle Code requires that:
- Bicycles riding at night must use a white light in front and at minimum a red reflector in back.
- Bicycles must ride as close as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway (or in a bike lane) except:
- when overtaking another bike
- when preparing to turn left
- when going straight next to a right turn lane
- when the right hand edge or bike lane is unsafe or unusable
- or if the lane is too narrow to permit a vehicle to overtake and pass a bicycle.
- Bicycles must ride in the same direction as traffic (i.e. do not ride the opposite direction on a one-way street; do not ride against traffic on the left-hand side of a two-way street)
- Bicycles must stop at stop signs and red lights
- Bicycles must use appropriate hand signals to communicate with other drivers that they intend to turn right or left.