On May 14, 2018, Marya Ryan added a PDF with instructions for program participants to drop off gloves at PPSB.
You are here
Glove Recycling (Ongoing)
The Illinois Natural History Survey inquired about participating in the glove recycling program in April and agreed to be listed in the iCAP Portal as a participating location. They were added as a location on May 6, 2018.
- Implement Solutions for Special Recyclables
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign participates in Kimberly-Clark’s RightCycle Program. Campus laboratories and dining facilities can keep disposable gloves out of the landfill to be recycled into useful plastic products.
Participation Makes a Difference
At certain locations, gloves make up a significant percentage of the waste stream, so participation in this program has a meaningful impact. For example, in one campus lab building, the gloves recycled equated to 8 percent of the weighed waste from the building. Instead of taking up room in a landfill, recycled gloves are molded into useful items, such as shelving, storage bins, chairs, and even flower pots.
How to Participate
Participating units must purchase their gloves through the iBuy website at https://www.obfs.uillinois.edu/iBuy/. iBuy supports glove recycling by coordinating glove purchasing and by sponsoring the storage container where gloves are collected for recycling.
Here’s how your lab/facility can participate:
- Designate one of your staff members as the contact person for program participation.
- Email email@example.com with the contact person's name and email address. We will soon have an online form to submit and will notify your contact person when it is available.
- Obtain collection bins for your site from Jonathan McClintock at Kimberly-Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tanya Lisowsky at Fisher Scientific (email@example.com). Alternatively, you may collect used gloves in the cardboard outer cases/boxes in which the Kimberly-Clark gloves arrive or other container of your choice.
- When a collection bin is full, take it to the trailer behind the Physical Plant Services Building at 1501 S. Oak in Champaign, using the north gated entrance. Observe these safety rules when dropping off bins:
- Go to the trailer between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., when there is less traffic and it is safer and easier to reach the trailer.
- Note that the area around the trailer is unpaved, and there are no sidewalks.
- Watch for cars and trucks coming from all directions.
- Wear close-toed shoes.
Gloves cannot be recycled if they have been exposed to the following:
- Biohazards that have not been autoclaved. Gloves that have been autoclaved may be recycled but should be placed in clear bags; any gloves placed in red bags will be assumed to still be hazardous.
- Any chemicals that you would not put in the trash or in your car. If you are unsure about a specific chemical, contact Heather Jordan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jonathan McClintock (email@example.com) at Kimberly-Clark to request a review.
Only Kimberly-Clark nitrile gloves purchased through iBuy may be recycled through this program. Kimberly-Clark must be able to ensure that they know the content of the material that they produce in the initial phase of the recycling process. Unknown material types can compromise the quality of the recycled material that they provide to manufacturers who purchase it from them.