You are here
Key Objective: 4. Transportation
Instead of decreasing emissions 30% from transportation by 2015, the campus actually increased its transportation GHGs by 30%. Although commuting and fleet emissions have decreased 6% and 3% respectively, reported air travel emissions increased 52%. This figure may not represent an actual rise in number of miles flown, but may be a reflection of better tracking of this information (we may have underestimated our time in the sky in the past). Because air travel is often necessary to fulfill the campus’ mission, it cannot be totally eliminated. Instead, the campus will consider purchasing carbon offsets.
Goals: Return emissions to FY08 level by FY20 (reversing the 30% increase). Then achieve additional 15% reduction by 2025, 75% reduction by 2030, 90% reduction by FY40, and 100% reduction by FY50.
9. Reduce air travel emissions from a new FY14 baseline 25% by FY20, 50% by FY25, and 100% by FY30.
10. Reduce emissions from the campus fleet by 20% for departmentally owned and carpool vehicles by FY20. Suggested steps:
» Phase out old fleet vehicles and introduce low-emission models or electric vehicles.
» Install anti-idling equipment and idling-tracking equipment on all vehicles. We want to know how long vehicles are running but not doing anything. Turn ’em off!
11. Conduct a detailed study by the end of FY17 to develop scenarios for complete conversion of the campus fleet to renewable fuels.
12. Reduce the percentage of staff trips made using single occupancy vehicles from 65% to 55% by FY20, 50% by FY25, and 45% by FY30.
» Encourage car-free commuting with less-than-full-time parking (so you can pay just to park during winter when you can’t ride your bike) or closer parking spots reserved for low emission vehicles.
» Guaranteed Ride Home – in case of emergency, employees will receive a free ride by taxi to get to home/ hospital/daycare quickly.
» Expand Zipcar service usage.
» Install more electric vehicle charging stations
» Communicate opportunities for CUMTD and carpooling.
13. Implement the Campus Bike Plan on the schedule noted in that plan. Notable deadlines include full implementation of new bikeway facilities by FY25, bike parking within 150 feet of every building in the core of campus by FY20, and bike rentals by FY20.
14. Appropriately staff sustainable transportation efforts, especially through the hiring of an Active Transportation Coordinator.