You are here
- archived info - previous project background
archived info - previous project background
Posted by Morgan White on September 4, 2018
The existing Bicycle Code for the University was effective since May 1, 1989, (read the 1989 Bike Code here) although enforcement of the code has varied greatly. The 2013 draft update of the Bike Code resulted from several conversations about bicycle enforcement and the need for better policies, beginning in the Fall of 2012 and Spring of 2013.
The updated code is more comprehensive and detailed, and is an important part of aknowledging the rights and responsibilities of cyclists on campus. The draft code was released for public comment in early September. The following timeline outlines the key dates going forward for having the new bike code to officially replace the 1989 version, before enforcement can begin.
- September, 2013: The new draft bike code is available for public comment/feedback (submit feedback here)
- October-November, 2013: The new bike code will be finalized for adoption into the Campus Administration Manual
- September, 2013-March, 2014: Increased educational efforts will inform campus cyclists about the policy changes before enforcement begins
- Fall 2014: Enforcement of the new Bicycle Code will begin Fall 2014.