You are here
Rooftop Solar Potential (Completed)
Interim Provost Wilkin, on behalf of Chancellor Jones, approved moving forward with the recommendations discussed at the March 2017 Sustainability Council meeting. See attached file.
Solar Energy on Campus
- ECE Rooftop Solar PVs
- Install Solar PVs on NCPD
- Solar Farm 1.0
- Rooftop Solar Potential
- BIF Rooftop Solar PVs
- Ground Mounted Solar PVs BRC Research Test Bed
- E37 Parking Lot Solar Lighting
- Idea Garden Solar PVs
- KCPA Rooftop Solar Feasibility Study
- Solar Farm 2.0
- Solar PVs on Fruit Farm Admin Building
- Solar Panels on Everitt Lab
- Speech and Hearing Rooftop Solar PVs
- Uni High Gym Rooftop Solar PVs
- Wassaja Hall Rooftop Solar PVs
- SSC Solar Feasibility Study
- Solar Thermal at ARC
One potential method for acheiving the 2015 iCAP goal for on-campus solar is to retrofit existing campus buildings with rooftop solar. The amount of sun shine on each roof, the viability of the building itself, and the funding mechanisms all need to be reviewed and resolved for this idea to be implemented. The viability for each building includes approval from the Architectural Review Committee, agreement of the building occupant facility leaders, and structural and electrical viability for the building. As of 2016, the financial payback for solar photovoltaics is not strong enough to easily justify the up-front costs, so alternative funding solutions are needed.
Student efforts have assisted with the formulation of this project proposal. The potential for rooftop solar on existing campus buildings was evaluated in a systematic fashion, starting with an aerial review of all existing campus buildings in the University District.
- Rooftop Photovoltaic Master List – Brendan McDonnell reviewed all campus facilities for rooftop solar potential in PVWatts.
- Architecture Review Committee first cut – yes, no, or maybe for large building roofs
- F&S roofing subject matter experts review – Corey Weil facilitated Spring 2016
- Project Plan Development – Niharika Kishore coordinated Summer 2016