You are here
- Archived info - previous background
Archived info - previous background
Posted by Morgan White on March 29, 2020
IV. Tomorrow's University Today: 4. Become a model of environmental sustainability
We will incorporate practices that reduce our carbon footprint and build a System-wide culture of environmental care, supporting the efforts of our universities and campuses to achieve carbon neutrality over the next three to four decades. To do this, our universities and regional campuses will actively seek:
- Climate neutrality by increasing building energy efficiency, achieving LEED certification for construction and renovations, enhancing the efficiency of campus fleets and shuttle buses, and becoming more pedestrian and bicycle friendly.
- Zero waste by increasing waste diversion rates, reducing bottled water use, and increasing the number of green-certified campus events.
- Net zero water use by managing and reducing storm water runoff within parking lots and structures and reducing water use through more efficient technology and practices.
- Campus biodiversity by promoting the use of local produce, increasing tree canopy size and the diversity of plants on campus, and using sustainable landscaping practices.