You are here
- Geothermal Profile Project
Geothermal Profile Project
Posted by John Flanagan on October 26, 2016
Beginning Fall 2016, a team at the Illinois State Geological Survey (ISGS, a division of the prairie Research Institute) led by Illinois Professor Yu-Feng Forrest Lin is conducting a series of detailed observations of the geothermal profile on campus - including high-resolution temperature profiling and thermal analysis. The team will drill to 330 ft and install a geothermal loop and fiberoptic cables. Results will help determine the feasibility of implementing geothermal systems on campus by identifying costs and possible challenges.
Professor Lin has coordinated with faculty from the University of Wisconsin to incorporate lessons learned from their implementation of a geothermal exchange system at the nearby EPIC health care systems campus in Verona, WI.
Professor Lin's team began drilling on 9/19/16. Daily drilling progress is logged and can be found by clicking this link.
- Energy Generation, Purchasing, & Distribution (eGen) SWATeam (View project updates for Energy Generation, Purchasing, & Distribution (eGen) SWATeam)
- Explore Options for 100 Percent Clean Campus Energy (View project updates for Explore Options for 100 Percent Clean Campus Energy)
- Geothermal on Campus (View project updates for Geothermal on Campus)
- Geothermal Test Well at Energy Farm (View project updates for Geothermal Test Well at Energy Farm)