You are here
- University proposal for turbine purchase
University proposal for turbine purchase
Posted by Sarthak Prasad on September 8, 2005
The Student Sustainability Committee (SSC) posted this project summary online in September 2005. University Proposal to Illinois Clean Energy Community Foundation (ICECF) for Turbine Purchase
- Proposes to install three, 1.5 MW wind turbines on the campus South Farms.
- Estimated total project capital cost will be $5,700,000.
- UIUC requests $2,000,000 in aid from the ICECF Renewable Grant Program to help establish this wind turbine project.
- The request is ~1/4 of the total cost ($1.4M), plus a two-to-one (2:1) match on the student fees ($600K).
- To date, the student initiated “clean energy fee” has raised and committed $300,000 for this project.
- Also, the university is investigating the possibility of an additional $250,000 in support directed by the Illinois Department of Community and Economic Opportunity through Vestas Wind Systems A/s.
- The UIUC is prepared to fund the remaining $3,000,000+ in capital costs.
- UIUC facilities will use 100% of the electricity generated by the wind turbines; the energy will feed directly into the University’s electric distribution system.
- The wind turbines will displace electricity generated by natural gas turbines at the UIUC Abbot Power Plant and purchased electricity, depending on the time of day and year.
- The three turbines will produce ~10,500,000 kilowatt hours of electricity (=2.7% of the total campus energy consumption).
- Location: South Farms area- Curtis/Windsor Rd on the north and Old Church Rd on the south and by Philo Rd on the east and First St. on the west.
- Wind turbines renewable energy production will annually eliminate the release of 6,700 tons of carbon dioxide, 32 tons of sulfur oxides and 15 tons of nitrogen oxides.
- The turbines generation capacity will be enough for the UIUC to voluntarily meet the State of Illinois’ Renewable Portfolio Standard through December 31, 2007.
- College of Engineering (Dean Ilesanmi Adesida) wrote a letter to ICECF supporting the project.
- Robert Easter wrote a letter to ICECF saying that ACES “is delighted to support the proposal to install wind turbines”.