Bicycles Ambassadors have decided to use "Hello, I'm a Bike Ambassador" spoke cards to be idenitfied on campus.
You are here
Bicycle Ambassador Program (Ongoing)
Bicycle Ambassadors are bicycling enthusiasts who are working to improve bicycle culture at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Interested students, staff, and faculty are encouraged to apply to become a Bicycle Ambassador by completing our online form. Applications are now being accepted, and the Bike Ambassador program was launched on campus in September, 2013.
What is a Bike Ambassador?
Bike Ambassadors are bicycling enthusiasts who are working to improve bicycle culture at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We care deeply about bikes, we love what bikes do for individual cyclists and the community as a whole, and we want to share our enthusiasm with you. We encourage and promote the use of bicycles for transportation, fitness, and fun. Bike Ambassadors can be students, staff, or faculty—anyone with an I-Card. The Bike Ambassador program is overseen by the Campus Bicycle Coordinator under Facilities & Services, with funding support from the Student Sustainability Committee.
What does a Bicycle Ambassador do?
- Meet monthly with the Campus Bicycle Coordinator
- Help out at events such as Quad Day, Taste of Nevada, and New Student Resource Fairs to share bicycle information with a range of audiences
- Plan special events to promote bikes on campus and encourage new bicycle ridership
- Promote bicycle registration and compliance with the University Bike Code
- Help conduct bicycle counts so the University knows how many cyclists are on campus each year
- Inform cyclists, drivers, and pedestrians about bike safety and rules of the road for all transportation modes
- Educate existing cyclists about proper bike ownership, such as basic bike maintenance, how to lock a bikes to deter theft, how to use the bicycle repair stations on campus, or how to put a bicycle on an MTD bus
- Work hard to make sure everyone appreciates bikes as much as we do!
How do I become a Bicycle Ambassador?
First, complete the online application to become a Bicycle Ambassador. We may call you in for an interview to follow up on your application.
Once accepted to the Ambassador program, you will be required to complete a training and orientation program consisting of roadway safety, bike maintenance, and the University Bike Code.
Bike Ambassadors must commit to 1-5 hours of volunteer service per week during the school semester, and must conduct themselves in a respectful manner, and exhibit safe bicycling behavior at all times.
How do I request a Bicycle Ambassador at my event?
Bike ambassadors can be requested as speakers or information booths at resource fairs, residence hall events, course lectures, and more. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a bicycle ambassador at your event.