The PWR SWATeam had their first meeting of the semester, where they discussed several updates related to purchasing, waste, and recycling.
You are here
Single-Use Battery Recycling (Ongoing)
Recent Project Updates
The PWR SWATeam discussed the history and future opportunities and mechanisms for battery recycling on campus. They also talked about updates in the rearrangement of outdoor and indoor bins.
- Rechargeable Battery Recycling
- Single-Use Battery Recycling
An outside vendor, Call2Recycle, offers boxes to collect a mix of rechargeable and single-use batteries. Participants must contact Call2Recycle to participate and must arrange to pay Call2Recycle, as central funding is no longer available for battery recycling. Prices vary by the size of the box. Once the boxes are full, participants follow the instructions for securing and shipping.
Call2Recycle accepts all rechargeable batteries that weigh less than 11 pounds, including Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd), Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), Lithium Ion (Li-Ion), and Small Sealed Lead Acid (SSLA/ Pb) batteries. Call2Recycle also accepts primary/single-use batteries, including alkaline, lithium, silver oxide, zinc-air, zinc-carbon, and zinc-chloride. AA, AAA, 9V, D-cell, and button cell batteries are all accepted.
Individual batteries must have their terminals taped or be bagged before being placed in the Call2Recycle boxes. Leaking batteries are not accepted, and should be disposed of through the Division of Research Safety (217-333-2755).
To start the program in your office:
1. Visit the Call2Recycle website at www.call2recycle.org/ to order and pay for a battery recycling box. A certificate of recycling is available on request. Include "University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign" in the address.
2. Call2Recycle will send the collection boxes with postage-paid return shipping labels directly to your building. When you first start the program, please send a note to email@example.com, so we can share your good work with other sustainability advocates!
3. When a box is full of individually bagged rechargeable batteries, check to ensure that only acceptable batteries are in the box.
4. Write down the box’s shipping tracking number and then place the full box at an appropriate pickup location for return to Call2Recycle.
No description has been provided yet.
This map is interactive! Click (or touch) and drag to pan; scroll (or pinch) to zoom.