You are here
- FY 17 SSC funding for Zero Waste Coordination
FY 17 SSC funding for Zero Waste Coordination
Posted by Morgan White on September 1, 2016
The SSC funding for Zero Waste Coordination ($64,862) covers four different recycling efforts.
1) Campus-wide infrastructure, $29,750: Expanding the “Dual bins on the Quad” to north of Green and eastward to Goodwin Avenue, in collaboration with F&S Superintendent of Grounds Ryan Welch. Ryan’s Grounds workers are mapping the existing bins, as a first step. All of this funding is for the physical infrastructure (bins and lids, etc.).
2) Campus-wide education, $1,032: The key message of personal responsibility for waste management needs to be communicated through multiple channels on campus, in order to effect the culture shift that we deeply need on campus. F&S will create educational materials to explain the recycling options available to the campus community, to reduce confusion. The funding is based on 8 presentations throughout campus and development of educational materials (which will be used in future years as well). All materials will thank SSC for their funding support.
3) Building specific solutions, $30,520: Per the completed Waste Characterization Studies, there are various changes that can be implemented in the studied buildings to improve waste diversion. These changes need to be approved and implemented in coordination with building occupants, so there is a need for a staff coordinator to work with the individual units. The funding is based on two weeks of staff time per building, for eight buildings.
4) Special recyclables expansion $3,560: There are new programs available for interested units on campus to recycle nitrile gloves, styrofoam, alkaline batteries, and glass. Unfortunately, very few units are aware of these opportunities. We are requested funding for student employees to reach out directly to potential participants and help them incorporate the applicable programs.
- Zero Waste (View project updates for Zero Waste)
- Decrease Wasteful Practices through Behavior Change (View project updates for Decrease Wasteful Practices through Behavior Change)
- Increase Recycling Rates (View project updates for Increase Recycling Rates)
- Recycling for the Quad (View project updates for Recycling for the Quad)
- Implement Solutions for Special Recyclables (View project updates for Implement Solutions for Special Recyclables)