You are here
- September 9th, 2016 Meeting
September 9th, 2016 Meeting
Posted by Joshua Feldman on September 13, 2016
Summary: This meeting was our inaugural meeting for the year. On the agenda today was the creation of a team description, a review of ongoing projects, and planning for future meetings.
Lily Wilcox - Active Transportation Coordinator
Olivia Webb - Sustainability Programs Coordinator
We collectively crafted our team description for the iCAP portal, which can be found at: https://icap.sustainability.illinois.edu/project/transportation-swateam.
Renewable Fleet Study:
Claire and Petehelped foster a discussion about the current types of alternative fuels for campus fleet vehicles. Currently, natural gas is the only type of fuel seriously looked at. One concern was that the gas CNG, while possible to implement, would be somewhat costly and have little payback unless driven many miles. Electric vehicles were brought up, but are currently not part of the market. Biodiesel was also mentioned, but its performance in cold weather is a concern.
Staff Mode Shift:
Lily discussed the ways that this project will reduce single occupancy vehicles. One idea looked at was bike sharing, which has been tried by Purdue but does not have much payback economically. Lily also discussed “It’s your MTD too”, which features social bus-riding trips which introduce MTD to campus employees.
This was a summary of effort to make campus more bike-friendly. This would include having more, and better, bike parking. UIUC was recently recognized as a bronze-level Bike Friendly University by the League of American Bicyclists.
We decided that every other Friday at 1pm is a good time to hold meetings. We will be holding meetings in the National Soybean Research Laboratory. Our clerk Josh will send out reminders.
- Transportation SWATeam (View project updates for Transportation SWATeam)
- Develop Scenarios for Converting the UI Fleet to Renewable Fuels (View project updates for Develop Scenarios for Converting the UI Fleet to Renewable Fuels)
- Reduce Cars (Vehicle Miles Traveled) on Campus (View project updates for Reduce Cars (Vehicle Miles Traveled) on Campus)
- 2014 Campus Bike Plan (View project updates for 2014 Campus Bike Plan)