Trans015 Fleet Replacement recommendation - Submitted
On May 5, 2023, the Tranportation iCAP Team submitted the Trans015 Fleet Replacement recommendation. See below a preview of the recommendation:
The objective of this recommendation is to establish a framework for accomplishing iCAP 2020 Objective 3.1, which states, “Establish written replacement plans for at least 80% of campus fleets by FY24 to improve university-owned vehicle efficiency.” By
- Enumerating a definition for a “fleet” as it applies to vehicles on campus, and
- Requiring campus units with a fleet more than 5 vehicles to establish a “Fleet Administrator” tasked with communicating with the F&S Fleet Operations team and creating a written replacement plan for the fleet, and
- Requiring all Fleet Administrators to have a minimum of once-a-year meeting with the F&S Fleet Operations team.
- The total number of vehicles owned and operated by the various units of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus.
- A total of 5 or more vehicles operated by an individual unit on campus.
This recommendation calls on each campus unit with 5 or more vehicles to appoint an employee as a “Fleet Administrator”. The Fleet Administrator will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
- Establishing a sustainable fleet plan capable of achieving certification with the National Association of Fleet Administrators (NAFA).
- Establishing a written, comprehensive strategy for replacing the fleet’s existing vehicles with more environmentally sustainable models.
- Communicating with the Fleet Operations team at the Transportation & Building Services department at Facilities & Services regarding development of the sustainable fleet plan or fleet replacement plan.
- Communicating with other Fleet Administrators regarding development of the sustainable fleet plan or fleet replacement plan.
- Attending annual meeting(s) with all Fleet Administrators, the Fleet Operations team at Facilities & Services, members of iSEE, and the Parking Department to discuss progress in development and implementation of fleet replacement plans and identify best practices moving forward.
Strategies for creating a sustainable fleet plan or fleet replacement plan may include the following:
- Consulting with Fleet Operations team at the Transportation & Building Services department at Facilities & Services regarding the replacement of their fleet vehicles
- Plans for transitioning to newer vehicle models with higher fuel efficiency or alternative fuel sources such as electricity or hydrogen.
- Plans for “right-sizing” the fleet that assesses the extent university vehicles are being used:
- To complete necessary tasks.
- By designated personnel.
- In a fuel and cost-efficient manner.
- Limiting the idling of vehicles
- Educational training for their drivers
- Reporting of vehicle and fuel usage as well as setting a target reduction for following years
Suggested unit/department to address implementation: All campus units with more than 5 vehicles.