You are here

Projects Updates for TBH Lighting Project

Search tips:
  • This form will search for words in the title OR the description. If you would like to search for the same term(s) across both the title and description, enter the same search term(s) in both fields.
  • This form will search for any of the words you enter in a field, not the exact phrase you enter. If you would like to search for an exact phrase, put double quotes (") around the phrase. For example, if you search for Bike Path you will get results containing either the word Bike OR the word Path, but if you search for "Bike Path" you will get results containing the exact phrase Bike Path.
  1. construction status update

    Associated Project(s): 

    Construction is underway.  The 3rd and 2nd floors are mostly complete. Unfortunately we’re finding that the sensor coverage is not quite as broad as the spec sheets say, so there’s been a change order for some additional devices.

  2. funding from RLF

    Associated Project(s): 

    The Green revolving loan fund is committed to provide $32,000 of funding for the TBH project.  Please add a supplemental account on to the work order to fund up to $32,000 of the bill for the lighting retrofit.  The revolving loan account is MY862-Revolving Loan Fund (1-303630-862004-862013.) 

  3. Revised scope to fit budget

    Associated Project(s): 

    From: Sweeney, Eva Maria
    Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2014 3:41 PM
    To: Chasco, David; Hall, Gaines B; Johnston, Morgan B; Tousignant, Teresa Marie Giardina
    Cc: Rubin, Joshua
    Subject: RE: Temple Buell - lighting controls upgrade

    Dir. Chasco,

    Thanks for your reply.  I’ll notify the project coordinator to proceed without the dimming controls.

    Regards,

    -Eva

     

    From: Chasco, David
    Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2014 2:05 PM
    To: Hall, Gaines B; Sweeney, Eva Maria; Johnston, Morgan B; Tousignant, Teresa Marie Giardina
    Cc: Rubin, Joshua
    Subject: RE: Temple Buell - lighting controls upgrade

     

    See below.

     

    From: Hall, Gaines B
    Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:27 PM
    To: Sweeney, Eva Maria; Johnston, Morgan B; Tousignant, Teresa Marie Giardina; Chasco, David
    Cc: Rubin, Joshua
    Subject: RE: Temple Buell - lighting controls upgrade

     

    I will defer to Director Chasco for this answer.

     

    Gaines

     

    From: Sweeney, Eva Maria
    Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:24 AM
    To: Johnston, Morgan B; Tousignant, Teresa Marie Giardina; Hall, Gaines B; Chasco, David
    Cc: Rubin, Joshua
    Subject: FW: Temple Buell - lighting controls upgrade

     

    All,

     

    Please see below.  Per our discussions at the 95% review, I added in continuous dimming

    to the 2nd and 3rd floor studios daylighting controls.  I had hoped we could afford this within the

    project budget, but the bid has come in too high.

     

    Would it be acceptable to the department to remove the dimming function, and have the

    daylighting operate in on/off mode only?  This will save a huge amount and put us back on budget. Yes, that is ok if it helps the budget.

     

    Please let me know your thoughts ASAP so I can have the contractor revise their bid.

    David

    Thanks,

    -Eva

     

    From: Rubin, Joshua
    Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 4:44 PM
    To: Sweeney, Eva Maria
    Subject: Temple Buell

     

    Eva

     

    As discussed, the fixed cost JOC scope of work for the TBH Lighting upgrades is ~$119,580.  This does not include any F&S system integrity support (this would be time and material support for things like smoke outage support, electrical outage support, ballast disposal) which would be minor on this project.

     

    The emergency exit light replacement cost is approx. $9,500.00

     

    Removal of the dimming requirement for the studio/lab areas would save somewhere in the range of $33,300 - $50,000

     

    Please let me know if you and the customer (Gaines Hall?) would like a more exact proposal for any of the options above and how you would like to proceed with this project.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Josh Rubin

    JOC Project Specialist

    Facilities & Services

    University of Illinois

    1501 S Oak St.

    Champaign, IL 61820

    Office:   (217) 300-2469

    Cell:        (217) 377-5493

  4. construction schedule

    Associated Project(s): 

    Prof. Hall, Teresa and Morgan,

    Just a quick update – we held the initial site meeting with contractors yesterday. Prof. Chasco was in attendance as we toured the building and discussed construction plans.

    At this time work is projected to begin about May 19th.  Any questions on construction or schedule are best directed to Josh Rubin who will be overseeing the work.

    Of course you can always contact me with technical questions or anything else on your mind.

    Regards,

    -Eva

  5. update from Eva Sweeney

    Associated Project(s): 

    Please find attached the pricing documents for the Temple Buell Hall Lighting Controls project. I have included the items discussed at the 95% review and I think we are ready to proceed.

    Gary Schweighart and I will schedule a meeting soon to determine pricing, project execution and schedule.  We are aware of the 5/30 date to spend funds and will do our best to accommodate.

    If you have trouble with the PDF files, or would like hard copies printed, please let me know.

    Best regards,

    -Eva

  6. work order submitted

    Associated Project(s): 

    Work order # 10214352 was created with funding from AiM account # KR767-018 as follows. "PLEASE PROVIDE DAYLIGHTING AND OCC SENSORS ENGINEERING DESIGN, PER THE DOCUMENTATION FROM TERESA TOUSIGNANT FOR THE PROJECT FUNDED BY THE SSC. CHARGE CFOP: 1-303692-767000-767030-767TBH. TERESA WILL PROVIDE THE DOCUMENTS TO EVA SWEENEY. ROBERT HALVERSON'S GROUP IS WHO THIS NEEDS TO GO TO. *** CONTACT: HALL, GAINES; PHONE: 217-333-3318; EMAIL: GBHALL@ILLINOIS.EDU ***"

  7. TBH Lighting Controls_Funding Award and Acceptance

    $62,900 was awarded to instill occupancy sensors and lighting timers in various locations within Temple Buell Hall. This was intended to encourage awareness of energy use among design students and faculty, and to reduce lighting and cooling energy use in the building.

  8. Planning meeting to implement project

    Associated Project(s): 

    Teresa Tousignant, Paul Foote, Morgan Johnston, and Eva Sweeney met to discuss the implementation steps for this project.  Eva will obtain the CFOP from Gaines or Mckenzie.  Morgan will submit an engineering work order for the daylighting and occ sensors.  Teresa will set up a kickoff meeting for about three weeks from now.  Eva will initiate engineering design.  Later, a work order for inhouse implementation of the daylighting will come from the SSC account and a work order for occ sensors will come from the RLF account.

    overview of discussion:

    Gaines Hall received the award letter, and Teresa is going to oversee the implementation as the "customer."  Teresa will get the CFOP, then Morgan will submit the work order for Engineering Design.  Eva and Teresa discussed holding a kickoff meeting.  It will include Gaines, David Chasko, Teresa, Eva, Robert, the facility manager, Paul, and any anyone else needed.

    Eva needs a copy of all the documents, and Teresa will set up a meeting for about three weeks from now.

    Perhaps the SSC will want to include a representative.   Eva mentioned that in some cases the SSC rep can add tangential conversations, and Teresa said that she believes the rep would most likely be an observer, getting trained.

    One work order now for engineering.  Later, do work orders for occ sensors and daylighting implementation later.  The budget was reviewed.  It included Eva's rough estimates for the cost of the project, engineering costs, and contingencies for unknowns.   The potential for connecting the HVAC occ sensors as well needs to be explored, so Eva will touch base with Karl Helmink.  The RLF funding could cover the HVAC connection, if that is the best use of the RLF funds.

    The proposal includes "publicity plaques" engraved and mounted on the wall in studio spaces near the light switches.  These were signed off on by Gaines with the acceptance of the funding.  Teresa can get the school or a class to do a design competition for the plaques.  This could be anything that fits the design standards for the campus, and has Dr. Chasko's approval.  The sign shop can most likely produce and install these signs, based on a second phase for the construction work order with the daylighting.

    Eva anticipates a single review submittal for this project.  We would like to get the design done during the summer and the construction done during the fall.  The funding is only available until next summer.  A lot of this work can probably be done while school is in session, as long as they work around the classroom and event schedules. 

     

     

  9. Teresa Tousignant requests meeting

    Associated Project(s): 

    Here are the proposal and supporting documents for the TBH lighting project.   The account number has been set up so the project now has access to the funds.   I’d like to get this project into the lighting design and electrical engineering pipeline as soon as we can.  I’d also like to call a project kickoff meeting so we can sit down with Prof. Hall, Director Chasco, and Eva Sweeney and make sure everyone is on the same page.

    Teresa Tousignant
    Student Sustainability Committee

    Energy Working Group Co-Chair

Subscribe to