SSC received semesterly report for Fall 2021 for Diversity and Inclusion Center project on 01/17/2022. Please see attached.
You are here
Diversity and Inclusion Center (In Progress)
Advance Student Sustainability Outreach Efforts
- Student Groups with Sustainability Focus
- Diversity and Inclusion Center
- Support Youth Sustainability
Under the umbrella of OIIR and along with several partners throughout our community, we seek to explore the feasibility of a multifunctional space which will allow for in-depth examinations of the complex layers of diversity, equity,and inclusion. Said space will accommodate our interest in building upon existing campus conversations and knowledge generation with regard to sustainability and environmental justice. We aim to integrate several functions which will enrich our focus on the cultural significance of environmentalism, including environmentally-friendly materials, rooftop gardens,solar panels,composting,reverse osmosis water filters,composting toilets,as well as affording space for wellness and study lounges, ritual observances, student organizations, classrooms/courses,and large-scale lectures, films,and performances.From dialogue on land rights and food diversity, to the importance of green space and serving as water protectors, this physical structure will support campus efforts to enhance the natural and built environment in which we learn, work, and live.
With the completion of this project, we aim to:
- engage our constituencies in a feedback collection process in orderto createeducational opportunitiesthat truly reflect their needs
- identify and contract a LEED-certified architectural firm withexpertise in cultivating culturally significant designs
- incorporate OIIR’s commitment to sustainability and environmental justice in design, and in a manner that supports our desire to utilize sustainable praxis in our day-to-day operations
- draft a final reportcapturinga student-centered approach to the construction of a structure supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives from an intersectional, interdisciplinary perspective.
In conjunction with the University Strategic Plan, the Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations (OIIR) seeks to construct a 40,000 square foot space in order to support the holistic growth and development of UIUC students. In 2016,the Board of Trustees voted in the affirmative for the creation of a dedicated multifunctional space on Nevada Street, where OIIR is charged with elevating opportunities for students to explore the intertwining nature of inclusion, diversity, identity, and environmental and social justice. The second phase of this project requires a feasibility study, which will allow us to examine the elements required in establishing the context and vision of the building’s master plan.
No description has been provided yet.
Primary Contact:James Hintz
Project Leader:Shawna Patterson-Stephens
- Joshua Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposed February 24, 2020
This map is interactive! Click (or touch) and drag to pan; scroll (or pinch) to zoom.