You are here
Decrease Wasteful Practices through Behavior Change
- Annual International Sustainable Electronics Competition
- Campus Sustainability Month - Waste Reduction Challenge
- Campuswide Zero Waste events
- Plastic Free Challenge
- Project Paplet
- Reusable Containers
- Skip the Bag Campaign
- Student Composter/Recycler Certification
- Water Fountain Retrofit
- Zero Waste Messaging Campaign
RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is participating in RecycleMania in 2014 with a Game Day Event on February 26 and an e-Waste Collection on March 18.
Overall Goals for RecycleMania
- Motivate students and staff to increase recycling efforts and reduce waste generation.
- Generate attention and support for campus recycling programs.
- Encourage colleges to measure and benchmark recycling activity in their effort to improve their programs over time.
- Have a fair and friendly competition.
Over an 8-week period each spring, colleges across the United States and Canada report the amount of recycling and trash collected each week and are in turn ranked in various categories based on who recycles the most on a per capita basis, as well as which schools have the best recycling rate as a percentage of total waste and which schools generate the least amount of combined trash and recycling. With each week’s updated ranking, participating schools follow their performance against other colleges and use the results to rally their campus to reduce and recycle more.
National recognition is provided to the winning school in each category on the RecycleMania website and in a national press release. Winning schools receive an award made out of recyclable materials, and win the right to host that category’s special traveling trophy for the coming year.
Project Leader:Bart Bartels
- Stephanie Lage
- Tom Divan
- Jenny Larson
- Drew O'Bryan
- Bryan Johnson
- Ian Scott
Proposed December 17, 2013Proposed by Pradeep KhannaStarted January 16, 2014Started by Bart Bartels