The semester is right around the corner. Welcome back to campus! You are invited to several upcoming climate-related events:
- Let’s Talk about Sustainability: iSEE (Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment) is hosting a daily in-person gathering from 10-11 AM during the first week of the semester (August 22-26) in the South Lounge at the Illini Union. Coffee and light refreshments will be provided. Together, we will listen to a brief presentation by a subject-matter expert (agenda below), followed by an open discussion of ideas and questions from attendees. Stop by one morning - or each day next week - and help spread the word! This is a great opportunity to get connected, ask questions, network, and strengthen your interest in campus sustainability.
- Monday 8/22: Meet iSEE/iCAP with campus sustainability staff
- Tuesday 8/23: Plastic reduction with ISTC and Champaign County
- Wednesday 8/24: Student involvement with SSLC (Student Sustainability Leadership Council)/SECs (Students for Environmental Concerns)
- Thursday 8/25: Sustainable transportation (learn how to register your bike – and more!) with F&S and the Bike Center
- Friday 8/26: Educational opportunities with iSEE
- Urbana Park District's Climate Action Week 2022 will be held throughout next week, August 22-28. Daily events include tours, hiking and lunch & learns. The week will culminate in a main event at Crystal Lake Park on Saturday, August 27, from 1 PM-4 PM. Click the title link to learn more about UPD's Green Initiatives and Programs.
- iSEE’s TED Talk: Eco-Edition series: Kick start your commitment to sustainability this academic year on Wednesday, August 31 from 7-8 PM. This month’s Zoom Ted Talk event is hosted by the four co-presidents of the Student Sustainability Leadership Council (SSLC): Jack Reicherts, Danika Ford, Owen Jennings, and Maiah Caise. We will watch a pre-recorded TED Talk followed by a guided, thought-provoking discussion. The discussion will highlight environmental activism and how to get involved in environmental initiatives on campus. All are welcome, whether near or far! Register here.
Have you signed up for the iSEE newsletter yet? This is the best way to stay up-to-date on all things sustainability. Let me know if you have any questions, and see you soon!