You are here
- Daily Illini article about impacts of covid-19 on iCAP
Daily Illini article about impacts of covid-19 on iCAP
Posted by Morgan White on December 9, 2020
The Daily Illini published an article about the impacts of covid-19 on the campus sustainability efforts. One key message is that, even with some delays associated with the pandemic, we are still determined to move forward. The conclusion of the article says:
Mohamed Attalla, executive director of Facilities and Services, said there are lots of initiatives to reach carbon neutrality in terms of energy and hopes to reach 400,000 metric tons of CO2 this year.
Attalla said the addition of a third solar farm, advances in geothermal energy and research in carbon capture contribute to achieving carbon neutrality and that long-term, COVID-19 should not be a problem.
“Maybe we’re behind a little in implementing some projects, but we’ll be able to catch up,” he said. “I don’t think there will be a long-term impact on the iCAP implementation.”
White also said she doesn’t anticipate any long-term problems with achieving the iCAP goals and believes it’s important for the University to lead by example when it comes to sustainability.
“I really believe that accomplishing the iCAP goals is something we can do, we need to do and we will do,” she said.
“Climate change isn’t waiting for us,” Edwards said. “(The University is) the laboratory for science, for humanities, for arts … all those kinds of things show what is possible of humanity.”
“If we’re going to call ourselves leaders, then we need to lead,” he said.
- iCAP 2020: Illinois Climate Action Plan (View project updates for iCAP 2020: Illinois Climate Action Plan)
- Sustainability Council (View project updates for Sustainability Council)
- Student Sustainability Committee (SSC) (View project updates for Student Sustainability Committee (SSC))
- Encourage Telecommuting (View project updates for Encourage Telecommuting)
- Zero Waste (View project updates for Zero Waste)
- Maintain or Reduce Gross Square Footage (View project updates for Maintain or Reduce Gross Square Footage)
- Off-campus Solar Farm 3.0 PPA (View project updates for Off-campus Solar Farm 3.0 PPA)
- Geothermal on Campus (View project updates for Geothermal on Campus)
- Carbon Capture (View project updates for Carbon Capture)