You are here
- Energy005 Modeling for Energy Code Compliance - Submitted
Energy005 Modeling for Energy Code Compliance - Submitted
Posted by Meredith Moore on February 11, 2021
The Energy iCAP team made the following recommendation on 2/11/21. The Energy005 Modeling for Energy Code Compliance recommendation is attached.
The aim of this recommendation is to ensure compliance of current and recent projects with State of Illinois Energy Codes and Facilities Standards
- F&S will identify a contractor—which may be a student group or include a student group—capable of creating 25 models of building whole energy use in campus buildings. F&S will contract to provide electronic files so they can be run on a common platform such as Trane700, Energyplus, eQuest, DOE-2 or BLAST. Preference will be given to contractors who make maximum use of student effort.
- F&S will identify five buildings completed recently but prior to 2019 for which breakdown meter energy use data is available, and five campus buildings currently under construction. F&S may identify buildings for which the required requested model energy files are available, at a cost saving on the project.
- The contractor – in collaboration with a student group -- will complete for each of the ten buildings
- a model file of the building which follows the Energy Code prescriptive requirements (baseline energy model) in use at the time of construction in order to determine an Energy Cost Budget, (10 files)
- a model file of the building as constructed (10 files), and
- a determination of the level of compliance with Energy Codes and Facilities Standards in terms of design and construction.
- For the five already-completed buildings, the contractor will calibrate the as-constructed model to fit the measured energy consumption data, using historical weather data. The calibrated model (5 files) should replicate actual energy use for a minimum of one year within 5% on a monthly basis and within 20% on a daily basis.
- If energy modeling files are available in project files on a common platform listed above, and may be distributed, then this may be considered one of the deliverables, and the work need not be redone, at a cost saving for the project.
- The contractor will provide a final report that describes the level of compliance in the ten buildings with the State of Illinois Energy Code (in use at the time of design and construction, as applicable) and Facilities Standards. The energy model files will be made available publicly, and primarily to students and faculty in engineering and architecture for their study.
- Energy SWATeam Recommendations Summary (View project updates for Energy SWATeam Recommendations Summary)
- Energy SWATeam (View project updates for Energy SWATeam)
- iCAP Working Group (iWG) (View project updates for iCAP Working Group (iWG))
- Energy Models for Campus Facilities (View project updates for Energy Models for Campus Facilities)