In the atrium of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Building (ECEB), there are two kiosks where people can sign various pledges related to decreasing energy use. Two solar-powered phone chargers will be raffled off to those who have signed the pledge during Campus Sustainability Month, October 2021.
Nearly 20% of energy is unnecessarily wasted each day; very simple steps exist to reduce that number, such as turning off the lights when you leave a room or unplugging devices and cords when we aren’t using them. Other examples include replacing inefficient appliances (like lightbulbs!), which can also save money! Signing the pledge to be more conscious of your energy is a great step toward leading a more sustainable life. Here are a few other ways to learn more and get involved with sustainability on campus:
- Subscribe to the iSEE (Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment) Newsletter!
- Comprehensive Sustainability Calendar
- Check out the iCAP Portal where we list and track our projects and progress
- Read the Illinois Climate Action Plan (iCAP) to learn about the campus’ sustainability goals
- iSEE offers a sustainability minor and certificate in environmental writing here: SEE Fellow Program.
- Collaborate with the Student Sustainability Committee (SSC), apply for project funding, and/or join a working group
- Help with sustainability research or project - reach out at email@example.com
- Look into joining an iCAP Team. There are a limited number of student voting positions available; please reach out if you are interested because there may be an opportunity!
- Are you part of an office or Greek chapter, or do you host events? Certify as ‘green’ here: Certified Greener Campus Programs
- Sign the Use the Bin Pledge to always recycle and use the recycling bin!
- Talk to your friends and peers about sustainability to help incorporate a culture of sustainability at U of I’s campus. Lead by example!
If you have any questions about energy consumption or sustainability in general, feel free to reach out to campus sustainability staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.