"Why doesn't the company installing the solar panels at U of I put them over the parking lot? I would provide shade for the cars underneath and would eliminate having to kill whatever would be underneath them in the fields."
You are here
Rooftop Solar Potential (Completed)
For all of our buildings with renewable energy systems, we employ a net metering method. We deduct the energy supplied by the system from the building load on the campus grid. So, if ECE uses about 250,000 kwh of electricity per month, and the r
Solar Energy on Campus
- ECE Rooftop Solar PVs
- Install Solar PVs on NCPD
- Solar Farm 1.0
- Rooftop Solar Potential
- BIF Rooftop Solar PVs
- Ground Mounted Solar PVs BRC Research Test Bed
- E37 Parking Lot Solar Lighting
- KCPA Rooftop Solar Feasibility Study
- Solar Farm 2.0
- Solar PVs at Idea Garden
- Solar PVs on Fruit Farm Admin Building
- Solar PVs on President's Garden Shed
- Solar Panels on Everitt Lab
- Speech and Hearing Rooftop Solar PVs
- Uni High Gym Rooftop Solar PVs
- Wassaja Hall Rooftop Solar PVs
- SSC Solar Feasibility Study
- Solar Thermal at ARC
One potential method for acheiving the 2015 iCAP goal for on-campus solar is to retrofit existing campus buildings with rooftop solar. The amount of sun shine on each roof, the viability of the building itself, and the funding mechanisms all need to be reviewed and resolved for this idea to be implemented. The viability for each building includes approval from the Architectural Review Committee, agreement of the building occupant facility leaders, and structural and electrical viability for the building. As of 2016, the financial payback for solar photovoltaics is not strong enough to easily justify the up-front costs, so alternative funding solutions are needed.
Student efforts have assisted with the formulation of this project proposal. The potential for rooftop solar on existing campus buildings was evaluated in a systematic fashion, starting with an aerial review of all existing campus buildings in the University District.
- Rooftop Photovoltaic Master List – Brendan McDonnell reviewed all campus facilities for rooftop solar potential in PVWatts.
- Architecture Review Committee first cut – yes, no, or maybe for large building roofs
- F&S roofing subject matter experts review – Corey Weil facilitated Spring 2016
- Project Plan Development – Niharika Kishore coordinated Summer 2016