The Education iCAP team had a hybrid meeting from 5:00 P.M. - 6:00 PM on Monday, August 29th. The team reviewed the Education iCAP objectives, shared project updates, and brainstormed new action ideas for this semester.
You are here
Environmental Leadership Program (ELP) (Ongoing)
The first closing banquet of the ELP organized by the Institue for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment (iSEE) took place at the Illini Union on March 17, 2022.
The banquet agenda is attached below.
Educate Future Leaders
- Co-curricular Sustainability Programs
- Broaden Sustainability Education
- Environmental Leadership Program (ELP)
- Sustainability Internship Program
- iSEE Collaboratory
The iCAP 2020 objective 6.3 is to "Launch an undergraduate Environmental Leadership Program (ELP) that includes two week-long residential intensives, pre-professional workshops, visiting speakers, and field trips to Springfield and Washington, D.C." The responsible campus unit for championing this objective is iSEE.
The Environmental Leadership Program (ELP) is a cutting-edge program designed to prepare Illinois undergraduates for leadership roles in the sustainability field. This program will focus on developing student’s communication skills around environmental problems, mobilizing social resources, and implementing plans for sustainable change. This will prepare students for careers in both the public and private sector, allowing them to succeed as leaders in their own fields.
iSEE is developing an Undergraduate Environmental Leadership Program.
- Professional skills
- Nexus between research, policy, advocacy, and government
- Networking opportunities with leaders in the environmental field
- Pilot workshops in Spring 2021
- Environmental Policy Workshop (March 24th, 2021)
- Plenary sessions by Environmental Education expert Eban Goodstein and lobbyist Jennifer Walling
- 16 students, in teams, advocated for environmental policy that incorporated lessons from the plenary sessions
- Corporate Sustainability Workshop (April 13th, 2021)
- Keynote address by corporate leader Dr. Harriet Hentges
- Panel discussion from 4 people in industry
- 12 students attended Green Career Fair with 10 companies present
- Intermediate program to be developed and delivered Spring 2022
- Full program to be developed and delivered for AY 2024
Be interactive and engaging for participants; Have a balance between the pre-professional component of the program (practical career skills and networking), as well as its environmental leadership/knowledge component
The main objectives of the Environmental Policy Workshop are to help participants communicate better environmental issues that they care about and to increase their awareness of ways to advocate for such issues. As such, this workshop would include sessions that would target environmental communication and policy advocacy skills.
There have been two pilot workshops thus far:
- Environmental Policy Workshop (March 24, 2021)
- Corporate Sustainability Workshop (April 13, 2021)
No description has been provided yet.
Primary Contact:Eric Green
Project Leader:Eric Green
- Luis Rodriguez
- Gillen Wood
Proposed August 18, 2020Proposed by Gillen Wood and Paul GharzouziStarted February 22, 2021Started by iSEE