Ed Choklek led a discussion about the Committee moving forward with creating a new Job Shadowing Program for college and university students with USGBC Illinois members in 2014.
You are here
USGBC IL Higher Education Sub-committee (Completed)
- Participate in Regional Green Teams
Mission: Serve as a state-wide resource to promote sustainability at both the individual building and campus level for colleges and universities throughout the USGBC Illinois Chapter’s geography.
Vision: Sustainable and responsible buildings and campuses that enhance the quality of life for Illinois’ students and employees of higher education institutions, current citizens and future generations.
- Establish relationships with and provide support to existing USGBC Student Chapters.
- Support the Illinois USGBC Green Community Chair in their role of working with community colleges throughout Illinois. (Illinois is one of five states in the pilot program for this initiative.)
- Explore collaborative opportunities and initiatives with local and national organizations that encourage green building design, construction, operations and maintenance practices.
- Increase the visibility of the USGBC Illinois Green Schools Committee Higher Education Sub-committee through active participation in ongoing higher education activities, events and programs. (Earth Day/Week/Month, Sustainability Conferences, Special Programs/Events, etc.)
- Lead the creation of new USGBC Student Chapters at Illinois higher education institutions through collaboration with college/university administration, faculty, staff and students.
From USGBC website: "Education facilities represent the largest construction sector in the United States. Unfortunately, too many schools are in disrepair: barely meeting code, inefficiently consuming energy and water, filled with materials that make the air unfit to breathe. This results in a learning environment that makes occupants (students, faculty, administrators and support staff) sick, tired, and unproductive. Is this where we want our students learning and teachers teaching? Make a difference by advocating for green schools and campuses."
Primary Contact:Morgan Johnston
Project Leader:Ed Choklek of FGM Architects
- Paul J. Matthews of Roosevelt University
- John Brophy of City Colleges of Chicago
Proposed March 20, 2013Proposed by Ed ChoklekApproved March 21, 2013Approved by Pam VoitikStarted May 20, 2013Started by Ed Choklek