You are here
- Transportation iCAP efforts in progress
Transportation iCAP efforts in progress
Posted by Morgan White on September 26, 2017
Hello Transportation SWATeam members,
Thank you again for your willingness to help our campus achieve the Climate Leadership Commitments. There is great value provided by the bi-weekly meetings of student, faculty, and staff representatives evaluating our progress and recommending additional actions campus units could take.
The following is a list of current activities I am aware of, and suggestions I have about useful next steps. I am happy to follow up with you on any of these, as needed.
Thank you very much,
- EV analysis for department’s assigned vehicles – Hursh Hazari worked with Pete Varney’s data to evaluate the possibility of replacing some fleet vehicles with EVs. https://icap.sustainability.illinois.edu/project/use-electric-vehicles-ev-campus
- Pete Varney has established the F&S fleet as a certified green fleet. Pete, do you create an annual report for the status of that which you can share? If not, can you provide an update to the SWATeam and to me?
- Last year the SWATeam discussed encouraging additional campus units to get certified as green fleets. Your team could submit a recommendation for another unit (or more than one) to pursue that certification.
- New EV Chargers – Scott Willenbrock is working on one at the Illini Union + Phil Krein is interested in getting more Type 1 chargers for the North Campus Parking Deck.
- Potential EV Study – At the Oct. 11 Workshop for the Living Lab research connections to iCAP, there will be seed funding offered and the study for transitioning to EVs could collect and use data on campus vehicle use. Pete has example data, which could be used to support the request for seed funding, which could then possibly fund data collection for the study.
- We do not yet have new air travel emission data. iSEE is working on creating a virtual storeroom to offer carbon offsets to campus units to voluntarily buy air travel offsets. The storeroom has funding for the first 10,000 offsets, but I understand there was a hurdle on selecting appropriate offsets with additionality. I recommend asking Ben McCall and Scott Willenbrock about it.
- A new Mode split survey is needed as soon as possible. Lily Wilcock intends to bring this as an item for discussion. We would appreciate it if you would help define the survey questions, and then iSEE can help distribute the survey to get updated figures.
- Bike Plan – I suggest you ask Stacey DeLorenzo to join one of your meetings to give an overview of the status of the Bike Plan infrastructure upgrades.
- Lily has funding for a Bike at Illinois website, which Creative Services will develop in the winter and spring months this fiscal year.
- Lily has worked with MTD to offer bus tours to show campus staff how to use the MTD. We teach all our new student how to ride, but none of the new employees get the personal introduction. These tours are very successful, when they are organized with a specific department or location.
- Bike Parking – there is a significant capacity issue, which is noticeable just by looking around campus, especially during class hours in the core area. Lily has a new website that she can show you, and there is an upcoming Bike Census, which your team members should help with.
- Bike Sharing – a handful of dockless bike sharing companies are wanting to come to town/campus. To manage their impacts (imagine bikes in the boneyard) they will be required to obtain city permits. Lily is asking the SSC to use the funds they allocated to bike sharing for additional bike parking areas in the heart of campus.
- MCORE – this project has several impacts on multi-modal transportation. You can learn more at http://www.mcoreproject.com/project-construction-updates.
- Transportation iCAP Team (View project updates for Transportation iCAP Team)
- Use Electric Vehicles (EV) (View project updates for Use Electric Vehicles (EV))
- Decrease Emissions from UI Fleet (View project updates for Decrease Emissions from UI Fleet)
- Install Public Use Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations (View project updates for Install Public Use Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations)
- Offset Emissions from Plane Trips (View project updates for Offset Emissions from Plane Trips)
- Increase Public Transportation Use (View project updates for Increase Public Transportation Use)
- Upgrade Bike Parking U-loops (View project updates for Upgrade Bike Parking U-loops)
- 2014 Campus Bike Plan (View project updates for 2014 Campus Bike Plan)
- Bike Sharing (View project updates for Bike Sharing)
- Bike at Illinois Website and Campaign (View project updates for Bike at Illinois Website and Campaign)