You are here
- Urban Biodiversity Master Plan Student Support
Urban Biodiversity Master Plan Student Support
Posted by Asli Topuzlu on October 3, 2022
Biodiversity Plan intern Gabriel Harper-Hagen is looking for students and student groups to help him develop two iNaturalist surveys for the project. Here is the detailed explanation from Gabe:
The survey will act as a pilot for future surveying around campus and the broader community. We will have two surveys: one focused on animals and one focused on plants. This is because of the different methods of surveying each. The surveys will benefit from as many students that would be interested in this for either one (Or both). The survey will attempt to efficiently gather data about the diversity of plant and animal species found on campus to create a baseline for what is present and to help identify gaps on the campus where diversity may be lacking. If successful, I hope to expand the model to other parts of the community including the park districts to have larger community based BioBlitz seasonally to keep track of the diversity in the area and measure success of the biodiversity plan.
As far as students can help, we need enough people to survey the area efficiently in a reasonable amount of time. The student groups and individual students would be helping in an initial survey that focuses only on the campus. My thought is that a date will be set for each of the two surveys where the participants can join to go over brief instructions on identifying plants with iNaturalist, adding them to the project, and explaining the purpose of surveying. iNaturalist allows for specific project data to be collected within a region which is then peer reviewed. Ideally, there will be some experts (students or professors if appropriate) that join for each survey to help with logistics and identification. I hope this will not only be a useful database for our campus to utilize, but also a fun learning experience.
All iCAP students and environmental student groups are encouraged to participate. If interested, please email Gabe (email@example.com) and Resilience iCAP Team clerk Asli Topuzlu (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Urban Biodiversity Master Plan (View project updates for Urban Biodiversity Master Plan)
- Resilience iCAP Team (View project updates for Resilience iCAP Team)
- Education iCAP Team (View project updates for Education iCAP Team)
- Land and Water iCAP Team (View project updates for Land and Water iCAP Team)
- Zero Waste iCAP Team (View project updates for Zero Waste iCAP Team)
- Transportation iCAP Team (View project updates for Transportation iCAP Team)
- Energy iCAP Team (View project updates for Energy iCAP Team)