On Wednesday 01/13/2021, at 1:00 pm, Andrew Stumpf, Clarence Odom, and their team will conduct geothermal DTS measurements during a site visit.
You are here
Campus Instructional Facility (CIF) Geothermal (In Progress)
Geothermal on Campus
- Geothermal at President's House - Study
- Geothermal at Allerton Park
- Campus Instructional Facility (CIF) Geothermal
- Geothermal Monitoring Well on Bardeen Quad
- Geothermal Test Well at Energy Farm
- Geothermal at WPP
- Geothermal at the Energy Farm
- Geothermal at the Fruit Farm Admin Building
- Hydro-Systems Lab Energy Foundations
- ISTC Geothermal Loop
- RIPE Greenhouse with Geothermal at Research Park
When built, the University of Illinois Campus Instructional Facility (CIF) will be a four-story building dedicated to academic and classroom use. CIF will serve 31,000 students daily and will leverage sustainable design to decrease its carbon emissions. The ground source heat exchange system will consist of approximately 60 wells arrayed under the John Bardeen Quad. It will be designed to be expandable, with the ability to be connected to other buildings, allowing for multiple phases. This SSC grant covers approximately 13% of the cost of the geothermal system, and this building project is the first public-private partnership on campus. As the campus works towards being carbon neutral by 2050, this project will not only reduce UIUC’s reliance on fossil fuels, but pave the way for new construction projects to use geothermal systems on campus.