Recycling plastic bags is an important aspect of specialty recycling for campus.
You are here
Plastic Bag Recycling (In Progress)
Implement Solutions for Special Recyclables
- Pallet Recycling
- Address Electronic Waste (e-waste)
- Battery Recycling
- Diversion of Non-Recyclable Plastic using Pyrolysis Process to Produce Fuels for Campus
- Glass Recycling at Housing Catering Services
- Glove Recycling
- Handling waste chemicals
- Lamp & Ballast Recycling
- Mill Shop Sawdust Recycling
- Plastic Bag Recycling
- Printer Cartridge Recycling
- Recycle Construction and Demolition Waste (C&D)
- Reduce Plastic Film Waste
- Reuse and elimination of single-use plastics in labs
- Single-Use Mask (PPE) Recycling
- Styrecycle: Expanded polystyrene (EPS) recycling program
The goal of this project is to make plastic bag and film recycling more accessible to the campus community. 6 collections bins have been set up at 4 different buildings. After evaluation of the current setup, more drop-off locations may be added or changed.
By completing this project, Plastic Bag Recycling will offer multiple benefits such as:
- Creating a culture of sustainability on campus.
- Recycling plastic bags is an important aspect of specialty recycling for campus.
- The Illini Union Bookstore has started plastic bag recycling in collaboration with their vendor. This program is an exciting opportunity to reduce plastic film waste on campus.
Students with the Illinois Student Government urged Facilities and Services to provide plastic bag recycling, which led to this pilot program. With increased use of plastic bags and plastic film during the COVID-19 pandemic, a need for a recycling avenue for plastic film on campus was even more evident. Shantanu Pai, former Interim Zero Waste Coordinator, organized the pilot program with the ISG Committee for Sustainability, Resilience, and Environmental Justice. Currently, the project is coordinated under Pete Varney at Facilities and Services.
No description has been provided yet.
Primary Contact:Morgan White
- Mohamed Attalla - Facilities & Services
- Tyler Swanson - Illinois Student Government
- Creen Ahmad - Illinois Student Government
- Ari Kelo - Illinois Student Government
- Jim Trail - Illini Union Bookstore
- Pete Varney - Facilities & Services
- Morgan White
- Shantanu Pai
- Maddy Liberman
Proposed September 19, 2020Proposed by the ISG Committee for Sustainability, Resilience, and Environmental JusticeApproved February 10, 2021Approved by F&SStarted February 26, 2021Started by F&S