You are here

Project Updates for collection: 2010 iCAP Projects

Search

Search tips:

  • This form will search for words in the title OR the description. If you would like to search for the same term(s) across both the title and description, enter the same search term(s) in both fields.
  • This form will search for any of the words you enter in a field, not the exact phrase you enter. If you would like to search for an exact phrase, put double quotes (") around the phrase. For example, if you search for Bike Path you will get results containing either the word Bike OR the word Path, but if you search for "Bike Path" you will get results containing the exact phrase Bike Path.
  1. 05/13/24 Update

    Associated Project(s): 

    We are using the blue bags in all the buildings. That is the expectation but it is possible a few here and there use black bags in containers as we had some complaints on the size didn’t fit.  

    Thanks 

    Mark Kuehl

     

    Hi Mark,


    Do you know what the status of the colored bag transition is across the residence halls? E.g., how many have transitioned so far?

    Thank you,
    Daphne

  2. IACT - Energy for Service and Source Well Procurement

    Good morning, Mike!

     

    Great to hear from you.  Absolutely can provide you with some additional information on both of those procurement pathways:

     

    1. Sourcewell:

     

     

    The University is a member of a purchasing co-op which provides pre-negotiated pricing for a variety of solutions – including microgrids – which enables them to purchase directly through Sourcewell without needing to go out to bid.  Please see attached for an example of the Siemens Sourcewell contract offerings and below for the University’s member information:

     

    1. Energy as a Service:

     

    Siemens could design, develop, own, implement and maintain a turn key energy system allowing the University to avoid capital investment and simply pay a “subscription cost” if you will for all their energy needs for I-ACT.  This would also enable them to stay up to date on new technologies as they come on line.  Please see attached “4-Steps for Integrating EaaS” for additional information.

     

    Again, we would be very happy to get on a call to walk through how to customize either of these offerings to meet their needs in cooperation with the work they are doing with AECOM.

     

    Could be a really exciting collaboration!

     

    I warmly welcome your thoughts.

     

    Thank you and

     

    All the best!

    -----------------------------

    Kevin,

     

    Here is the info I received from Siemend for your review.


    Thanks

     

    Mike

    -------------------------------

     

    Hello,

     

    Regarding the ongoing discussion of the electrical microgrid design (including PV panels on site) for U20029:IACT the PSC has wondered if UIUC has ever participated in either of this type of programs for procuring such systems by what appears a more design/build method?

     

    Kevin

    ------------------------------

     

    Good Afternoon Aaron and Graham,

     

    Can you advise if the attached Sourcewell Contract is one that we can utilize, if not, is there an IPHEC contract that would provide this type service? I tried to research the existing IPHEC vendors.

     

    Thank You

     

     

    MARIA THOMPSON

    -----------------------

     

    Hi, Maria

     

    The awarded contracts on the flyer all appear to be expired per the Sourcewell website.

     

    #031517-SIE for building technologies

    #051017-SIE for EV supplies and equipment

    #030817-SIE includes HVAC systems and mechanical

     

    Which contract were you interested in using? We may have something already.

     

    Also, IPHEC must adopt a consortia award first before a member can leverage it.

     

    Thank you

    ------------------------

    Graham,

     

    I am not really sure. Morgan or Kevin can you advise on Graham’s question?

     

    Thank You

    --------------------

    Hello Graham,

     

    I’m the F&S-CP Project Manager for the U20029: IACT track and fleet building project.  This is an automated and connected track for testing autonomous vehicles and anticipates having renewable energy production from wind turbines and PV panels on the large track site.

     

    The question which launched this email chain was received from the track designers who became aware of the existence to programs such as Sourcewell when discussing the PV design with potential sub designers for that portion of the track design.  I’m afraid I am not familiar enough with the three projects to know for sure but from the thumbnail descriptions perhaps the first one might be most similar to what is involved here, although this project would involve a large system covering both site elements producing renewable energy and only one building.  Their questions were really if the UIUC had interacted with Sourcewell in the past, and if Sourcewell might be an avenue to explore further as part of their design work.

     

    Would it be acceptable to share your contact information with the designers so that they could determine if your program could help provide some of the elements required for the IACT track and fleet building?

     

    Thank you,

     

    Kevin

  3. RA Tax Credit - CDB IGA

    Associated Project(s): 

    All

    Per our discussion from the meeting on 12/8/2023 I reached out to Ebone White and Angela Jacobs with your concerns that language be included to the current IGA template that is being produced to ensure that CBD cannot file for the IRA tax credit due to property being owned by the University. Ebone informed me that they will add it to their working draft for discussion with CDB and legal.

     

    Thank you

    Angie

  4. Revolving Loan Fund Research

    Associated Project(s): 

    Hi Morgan,

     

    I created a spreadsheet of all of the participants of the Billion Dollar Green Challenge. This spreadsheet includes the population size and loan amount. I thought it would be easier to sort through the information with this. I will try to find data about current energy savings to add to this sheet. But almost all of the institutions have very little information about what they have done with the loan amount. And if they do have information, it is minimum 3-5 years old.

     

    I attached that document and my current word document. Still need to add a few more universities, but I wanted to see the numbers clearly before I picked a random one to look into.

     

    According to this data we have the 9th largest loan fund. Ill focus on the rest of the universities above us in the list.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Quinn M. Connolly

  5. Carbon Credit Sale - Incoming Payment

    Hello,

     

    iSEE has been notified by Second Nature that there is an incoming payment for recent carbon credit sales, totaling $15,625. I have attached the sales confirmation. The wire will be sent today or tomorrow to the account previously used for these payments.

     

    Please let me know if you need any other information.

     

    Best,

    Miriam

    -------------------

    Miriam-

     

    Thank you for the email and the sales confirmation attached. I will prepare the ACH form for this so University Accounting is aware the ACH will be coming in and where to deposit it.

     

    Thanks!

    -----------------

    Hi everyone,

     

    Did we receive this payment, as expected? I’d like to update the attached excel file, when the funds are received.

     

    Thanks,

    Morgan

    ------------------

     

    Hi Morgan,

     

    Yes we did, please see my updated version attached. Let me know if you have any questions.

     

    Thanks so much,

    Courtney

  6. Illinois Street Residence Hall Grind2Energy Tour

    Associated Project(s): 

    Members from the ISC, ZeroWaste Interns, as well as Daphne Hulse and Codie Sterner attended a tour of the Illinois Street Residence Halls and their Grind2Energy system today.

  7. SSC Project: Greening the Garage

    Hi Lisa,

     

    As discussed during the SSC F&S feasibility meeting, I wanted to send over to you the product that we are requesting funding for. https://www.bendpak.com/shop-equipment/oil-filter-crushers/rp-50fc/ Based on this, are there any concerns?

     

    Thank you,

    Daphne

    ----------------------

    Hi Daphne,

     

    Thank you for sending me the cut sheet for the oil filter crusher.

     

    I don’t see any code requirements above and beyond what is already being done at the garage for oil filter disposal.  I have no concerns, and neither does Mike Brown in Code Compliance and Fire Safety.

     

    It is my opinion that this project is feasible, no changes needed.

     

    Thank you,

    Lisa

    ------------------------

    Thank you, Lisa! We appreciate you taking the time to thoroughly review this piece of equipment.

    ---------------------

    In a seperate email thread Daphne sent the message below and the attached file:

    -----------------------

    Hi Lisa & Morgan,

     

    Shawn & I are submitting a SSC funding request for a piece of equipment at the garage that would allow us to crush and recycle metal oil filters. We go through about 1500 oil filters a year, and they are currently landfilled.

     

    Thank you,

    Daphne

     

  8. University Landholdings in CU/new construction in next 2 years

    I'm doing some work with the USFWS on an urban pollinator habitat project and have a couple questions I'm hoping F&S can help me with (or send me in the right direction.)

    1. Do we have an accurate map or GIS layer of current UIUC landholdings (including properties connected to the south farms, etc). I've been able to locate some very low-quality, generalized maps but nothing that is either current or very detailed.
    2. Is there a way for me to find out where on campus there will be construction/renovation projects that will occur in the next 2-3 years?

    Thanks,

     

    BRODIE DUNN

    ---------------------------

    Beth, are you able to assist with item 1 in the below email from Brodie regarding obtaining a map or GIS file of UIUC properties?

     

    Morgan, are you able to assist with item 2 in the below email from Brodie regarding upcoming capital projects?

     

    Thanks,

    James Scherer

    ------------------------------

    Helo Brodie,

     

    I’m connecting you with the University Landscape Architect, Brent Lewis.  He can assist with your inquiry about upcoming construction projects, and it is important to include him in any plans you want to pursue regarding additional plantings on university land.

     

    Thanks,

    Morgan

     

    -------------------------

    Morgan and Brent,

     

    Rest assured I haven't made any promises regarding plantings on campus (and would reach out to you both before doing so.) 

     

    The primary program partner is the City of Champaign, which I am currently in discussions with. If the project does go through, it'll target underserved neighborhoods with pollinator conservation measures meant to protect/conserve the Rusty Patch Bumble Bee, an endangered species. It is a great opportunity and beside doing the coordination for the project with municipal partners, i'm doing my best to ensure we've got the option to physically participate in the program even if the lands we might have available are outside the model's ideal range.

     

    Brent - If we have any construction projects happening in the next two years that include major changes in landscaping, especially on the north side of campus, it would be good to hear about those. Participating in the program might end up being as simple as swapping out a few species on the planting list and doing so might give us the opportunity to be a part of a very innovative Endangered Species recovery plan.

     

    Thanks,

     

    BRODIE DUNN

  9. Bike Facilities Standard

    Hi Stacey and Morgan,

     

    Please see attached the facilities standard for Streets, Driveway, Sidewalk, and Bicycle Network. This standard was just updated in August 2023, but the point about Campus Bike Plan has been in place since at least the last standard update.

     

    Bicycle Network: Bicycle path facilities shall be constructed according to the Campus Bicycle Plan, available through F&S Transportation Demand Management and also available at: 2014 Campus Bicycle Plan. All new bicycle paths shall be a connected part of the campus bicycle network as well as the community bicycle networks, and shall follow the Champaign County Greenways and Trails Design Guidelines, developed by CUUATS.

     

    Bicycle Paths: Bicycle paths shall use design geometry, striping, symbols, and signage as described in the 2014 Campus Bicycle Plan.

     

    Thank you,
    Sarthak

  10. RE: Enerdrape design and installation

     

    Hi Mark,

     

    I am going to assign an SSC project to you as the PM to take it through design and construction.  The construction can be done through Contractor Services, so this would normally go to a Planner.  However, it will be in an existing Steam Tunnel, so it is very much a UES project, and will need to have coordination with Frank C. and Mike L.  Some older emails about this project are attached here, and I’ll get it set up in FCPweb today.

     

    Thanks,

    Morgan

    ---------------------

    Hi Morgan.  I have a few questions.  So The Dept. of Mechanical Engineering (Aman Mehta) requested funds from SSC for these panels?  And the only reason Utilities is involved is because these will be their steam tunnels?  I’m not familiar with SSC projects.

     

    Also, I’m not optimistic about hiring a PSC for $10,000 (the amount listed in their info)..  Especially if the participation goals are to be met.  I assume this will be a RWO or do you know if Enerdrape provides those services for their panels?


    Will our office’s role be similar to some of the smaller natural gas projects I’ve done?  Will there PM Fees?  C&I Fees?

     

    Thanks.

  11. RE: fuel data from FY22 and FY23

    Hi Pete,

     

    Please send us the fuel data for FY22 and FY23, so we can do the GHG emissions for campus.

     

    Thanks,

    Morgan

    --------------------

     

    Below is the fuel breakdown for FY22 and FY23.

     

     

    FY22

                     
     

    University Fleet

     

     

    Gasoline Fleet

    Diesel Fleet

    Natural Gas Fleet

    E85 Fleet

    B5 Fleet

    B20 Fleet

    B100

    Hydrogen

    Other Fleet Fuel

    Electric Fleet

     

    Gallons

    Gallons

    MMBtu

    Gallons

    Gallons

    Gallons

    Gallons

    MMBtu

    MMBtu

    kWh

    On Campus

    187308.7

     

     

    18418.62

    97890.86

     

     

     

     

     

    Off-Campus

    173365.1

     

     

    2291.97

    27045.24

             

    Total

    360,674

       

    20,711

    124,936

             

     

     

    FY23

                     
     

    University Fleet

     

     

    Gasoline Fleet

    Diesel Fleet

    Natural Gas Fleet

    E85 Fleet

    B5 Fleet

    B20 Fleet

    B100

    Hydrogen

    Other Fleet Fuel

    Electric Fleet

     

    Gallons

    Gallons

    MMBtu

    Gallons

    Gallons

    Gallons

    Gallons

    MMBtu

    MMBtu

    kWh

    On Campus

    204750.5

     

     

    18596.02

    104183.5

     

     

     

     

     

    Off-Campus

    155729

     

     

    302.632

    21519.5

             

    Total

    360,479

       

    18,899

    125,703

             

     

     

     

    Thank you

    Neil

  12. Animal numbers for FY22 and FY23

    Associated Project(s): 

    Hi Jonathan,

     

    We will be doing our annual reporting of GHG emissions for campus and need to report numbers of animals on the last days of FY22 and FY 23. Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you.

     

    Best,

    Jen

    -----------------

    Jennifer,

    I recall doing this in the past but cannot seem to find the spreadsheet that I have submitted.  Do you happen to have a past copy?  Do you want this reported in official animal-unit-equivalent or the actual number of heads counted?

    --------------

    Hi Jonathan,

     

    From what I can find in the SIMAP documentation, we need heads counted. If you know the conversion factors for animal-unit-equivalent, please send those too.

     

    Unfortunately, I don’t have a copy of the spreadsheet from the past. Meredith Moore previously did the GHG reporting and I don’t have access to her files.

     

    Jen

  13. IACT - Geotech Drilling

    Associated Project(s): 

    Kevin, Erwin,

     

    Our drillers are looking to get on site next week for the Geotech borings – on the areas to the south of the Project it looks like the area is actively farmed, is there any type of notification we need to do to the University before we enter the fields or other coordination needed with whomever is farming this area?


    Thanks!

     

    Mike

    --------------------

    Hi Mike. Let me find out and I’ll get back to you in the next hour or so.

    -erwin

    -------------------

    Hi Mike

    Sorry it took much longer than I had anticipated, but all is clear to get the drilling crew out here. The Village (Jake McCoy) gave their OK, and last night I found the farmer and he says that he will harvest the corn during this weekend. No one else from the university needs to be notified (Kevin, correct me if I´m wrong). If the drilling crew need any assistance on site, they can contact me at 217 766 9837. It would be good if you could provide me with contact information for who is leading the crew, just in case. Thanks

    -Erwin

    ------------------

    Here are some aerial pictures of the site taken about ten days ago. I thought they may be helpful.

    -erwin

    ----------------

    Hello Morgan and Jon,

     

    Can you think of anyone else at UIUC who should be notified of the upcoming commencement of soil boring and sampling work on the IACT site?

     

    Thank,

     

    Kevin

  14. USGBC LEED Cx

    Associated Project(s): 

    Hi Jim & Kelly Jo,

     

    My intentions were to send this out last Friday after seeing the DKC email, I just didn’t get back to it before the end of the day. I just wanted to share the latest version 4.1 of LEED which shows the new requirements for fundamental & Enhanced Cx.

     

    Both have increased in documentation, material and tasks needed to achieve them. Above are just a few of the items that Brian and I track and report for Fundamental Cx.

     

    Looks like they are going for Platinum, the highest level. I wonder if they have looked into green cleaning or alternative energy. We may want to verify this. Keep in mind, that all the actual commissioning is covered under the required fundamental portion. Enhanced includes extra tasks needed to be performed by the contractors and possibly a 3rd party entity. Something to think about as well is overall cost of the project, this could drive the cost of the project up. So, that’s another thing we need to bring to their attention is adding the appropriate language in the specifications.  Enhanced does have a possibility of gaining 6 points but there are options. 

     

    I’ll be back in the office tomorrow; I have time tomorrow afternoon or Friday to discuss the options and path’s if we so choose to accept this route. We should also discuss UGL, they are also wanting to pursue enhanced, not sure which avenue yet, I believe they talked about option 1, path 1.

     

    Thanks,

    Jake

    ----------------------

    Just an fyi with some information that Brian and I provide to USGBC for UIUC Cx activities. The material attached above is just some of what we provide for the fundamental side of commissioning. I would like to speak to you about the enhanced side when you have a few minutes.

     

    Please let me know if you have a few minutes this afternoon or tomorrow.

     

    Thank you,

    Jake

    --------------------

    Hi Jake:

     

    Rather than discussing this with me along with Morgan, I’m going to invite you to the 50% Design Review to discuss it with the PSC. Copying KJH so she sees the email string. I’m not sure where Bailey Edward is going with this other than trying to get a higher LEED score. I’m not passionate about pursuing enhanced CX but Bailey Edward wanted to discuss as a part of the rating process. Right now, I have the LEED/Enhanced CX scheduled for 11:50-12:30 on Tuesday, September 19. I know it’s part of a lunch, apologies for that. I’m attempting to get through all of the DR comments in less than 16 hours of time and this would be the last meeting of the day.

     

    Sending the schedule out shortly.

    -------------------

    Just an fyi…I reached out to Todd with Baily Edwards the other day. I have attached the email regarding that conversation.

     

    Basically, as long as they enter the appropriate language in the specifications, we could revisit this later in the project and see how the points are achievable and what’s actually needed to get them to the appropriate certification level.

  15. Connecting Gina and Daphne: Thrift store idea?

    Hi Gina,

     

    It was great seeing you today! I am connecting you with Daphne Hulse, the zero waste coordinator at F&S. She organized the Dump & Run on campus in May, where she coordinated with Salt & Light and Goodwill. She also worked with University YMCA and volunteered for their Dump & Run event in August. I know Daphne loves the idea of Thrifting and she practices it too, so I think she would be interested in helping out with this idea!

     

    Thank you,

    Sarthak

    --------------------

    Thanks for connecting us, Sarthak!

     

    Hi Gina – this is right up the F&S zero waste team alley! And several others, too, who I am including. The Institute for Sustainability, Energy, & Environment staff/interns have organized several “clothing swaps” over the years. Connor Purcell, cc’d, is a part of the Law School and is involved with their professional clothing donations program. I’m also including Param and Ashvin, who are working to organize a student-led zero waste week in March next semester.

     

    I would love to set up a time to chat about this – what’s your availability look like?


    Thank you,
    Daphne

  16. Toner and Ink Cartridge Recycling

    Associated Project(s): 

    Hi Daphne,

     

    Just to confirm, this is toner and not an ink cartridge for printer. We don’t have many inkjet printers, but I don’t want to assume which one you have.

     

    Thanks,

    Brad

    ----------------

    Hi Brad,

     

    That’s correct – toner is what we are referring to! Apologies for the confusion.

     

    Thank you,
    Daphne

     --------------

    HI Daphne,

     

    The vendors we work with for recycling toner quit accepting them. Unfortunately, they have to be thrown away.

     

    Thanks,

    Brad

    --------------

    Hi Morgan & Stephanie,

     

    Below is the response I received from Brad re: toner recycling. Sarthak was over at IT recently and noted that there was a box of toner cartridges that the IT team has been collecting for many, many years since the vendor stopped accepting them for recycling. I’ll do some research to see if there’s a solution in this region.

     

    Thank you,

    Daphne

  17. Paper purchasing data?

    Associated Project(s): 

     

    Hi Dan,

     

    I hope you are doing well these days.  I am writing to request you assistance with a Zero Waste effort for the system and universities.  We have previously received paper purchase data from someone at OBFS (see https://icap.sustainability.illinois.edu/project-update/fy08-17-uiuc-copy-paper-office-depot-only), and we would like an updated report.

     

    Jennifer Fraterrigo, the iSEE associate director for campus sustainability, and Daphne Hulse, the F&S Zero Waste Coordinator, are copied here as well.

     

    Thank you for your help!

    ~Morgan

     

    (PS. the last time we communicated, I was Morgan Johnston.)

    ---------------------------------

    Morgan,

    We haven’t forgotten about your request!  Unfortunately, with the decentralized management of the ODP agreement, we had to do some additional work to identify the appropriate SKUs to include in this year’s report.  Happy to report that Jeremiah and Alex in our office were able to pull the attached two documents together which we feel addresses your questions.  If you need additional information on the documents, please feel free to reach out directly to Jeremiah (copied on this e-mail).

     

    Jeremiah/Alex, thank you both for your work on this one!

     

    Thanks,

    --Dan

  18. Grey Water Recycling, IDPH, Letter?

    texted my plumbing friend – he thought we should talk to Brian Cox with IDPH (he thought his email was brian.cox@illinois.gov).  He thought that even if the variance does not get approved, that having the university put in such a request might bring it closer to reality in future editions of the Illinois Plumbing Code.

     

    Chapter 13, “Non Potable Water Systems” is in the International Plumbing Code.

    CHAPTER 13 NONPOTABLE WATER SYSTEMS, 2021 International Plumbing Code (IPC) | ICC Digital Codes (iccsafe.org)

     

    I do think if a variance is requested, the variance should make note that ICC does acknowledge these types of systems and provides a framework for life safety, and that on an environmental level, these systems are a method of saving water and reducing total sewage volumes in a climate that is changing rapidly.

     

    I think the question at this point is – who is the correct person to put time into this?  It would benefit the university, however, I don’t think we could ask for a ‘blanket university variance’, it would have to be a project specific variance.  With this in mind, it is a specific group that is wanting it for their building – so does this group apply?  Or, would direction be given to F&S to apply?  This is a strange one as we are code enforcement, but also representing the owner.

     

    KATIE sPERL

    ------------------------------

    Katie & Lisa,

     

    Is it possible to discuss this with Brian Cox at 217-524-0791?  It may be beneficial to seek a blanket variance, but only under certain circumstances.   I’ve also cc’d Colleen, Frank, and Jeremy in the case they had a say on your question of who would apply for a variance to IDPH.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Kelly Jo

    -----------------------------

    FYI, Attached is the submittal package that Cannon sent to Brian Cox at IDPH in May 2021.

     

    Lisa

    ---------------------------

    Please see the attached and provide me with your initial thoughts.  If everyone thinks this might be a good idea, I will ask Jim Sims if he would be okay letting us send to IDPH under the University of Illinois letterhead.  I feel like if we took this letter, all put our names to it – and then sent to other organizations such as AIA, they might all send a similar letter.

     

    I was at a plumbing lunch-and-learn today, and I just feel this is something that should be considered.  If toilets went from being 5 gallons a flush to 1.25 gallons – we could potentially get this down to zero in some situations…isn’t that a win?    

     

    KATIE sPERL

    ---------------------------

    All,

     

    Do other State Plumbing codes allow use of Grey Water Recycling? If yes, can we reference those states and language used in those State Plumbing codes?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Jim

    ---------------------------

    Most states don’t have a state plumbing code – I believe that only California, Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota and Oregon do.  Most states use International Plumbing Code or Uniform Plumbing Code.  IPC allows rainwater/graywater harvesting.  I’m not sure about UPC but I can look into it.

     

    Lisa

    --------------------------

    UPC also allows rainwater/graywater harvesting.

     

    Lisa

    -----------------------

    Thanks Lisa.

     

    Seems like we would want to include alignment with International Plumbing Code and UPC in a letter that we send regarding Illinois Plumbing code?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Jim

    -----------------------

     

    All,

     

    As I thought about this more, I was thinking that UIC might have submitted and received approval to IDPH for a grey water system on one of their recent projects (a couple years ago now). It might be worthwhile checking in with UIC to see if this was the case and learn from their experience, including the process and justification they utilized to gain approval for a project.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Jim

    -------------------------

    UIUC submitted one on Illini Hall via Cannon Design (attached) and have not received approval.  I can email up to UIC to see if they have had any luck.

     

    KATIE sPERL

Pages