This proposal seeks to provide funding for student education centered around the University of Illinois’s participation in the 2011 US Department of Energy Solar Decathlon Competition. Each student team participating in this prestigious, international competition is required to build an entirely solar-powered 800 sq. foot house with innovative design features. This grant will provide funds for the development of new courses and enhancement of existing courses, provisioning of course materials and software, and the sponsorship of guest lecturers and consultants ($25,000), the employment of graduate students in coordinating roles for education and volunteer engagement activities ($15,000), and student travel associated with the competition ($10,000). The last UI entry in the Solar Decathlon competition engaged hundreds of students and was the highest-placed US finisher in the Competition; furthermore this participation will require the team to raise $700,000 at a time of severe campus budget constraints. Thus, the Student Sustainability Committee is in favor of funding this proposal in the amount of $50,000.
- SSC Final Allocation Approval - Solar Decathlon 2011.pdf
- SSC Final Allocation Approval - Solar Decathlon 2011.doc
- SSC Letter of Inquiry.pdf
- SSC Request for Funding - Solar Decathlon 2011.pdf
- Sustainability committee award letter - Solar Decathlon 2011.docx
- Sustainability committee award letter - Solar Decathlon 2011.pdf
- Team Illinois - Solar Decathlon 2011.pdf