This project is aimed at ensuring that water runoff from firefighter training at the University of Illinois Fire Service Institute is not introducing carbonaceous material into a nearby stream.
You are here
Illinois Fire Service Institute: LEED Silver (Completed)
- Business Instructional Facility: LEED Platinum
- Illinois Fire Service Institute: LEED Silver
- Yeh Student Center: LEED Silver
- Lincoln Hall Renovation: LEED Platinum
- Bousfield Hall: LEED Platinum
- Chem Annex Renovation and Addition: LEED Gold
- Huff Hall, Khan Annex: LEED Silver
- Ikenberry Dining Hall: LEED Silver
- Illinois Natural History Survey: LEED Silver
- Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory (IBRL): LEED Silver
- NCSA Petascale: LEED Gold
- Natural History Building: LEED Gold
- Nugent Hall: LEED Silver
- State Farm Center: LEED Gold
- Surveying Building: LEED Gold
- Wassaja Hall: LEED Gold
- Wounded Veterans in Higher Education: LEED Gold
The Illinois Fire Service Institute (IFSI) achieved LEED Silver certification on August 8th, 2012. IFSI has long been a resource for training fire fighting personnel in Illinois and the United States. IFSI is currently operating at near capacity and often must limit/restrict course opportunities due to lack of classroom space. Henneman Engineering was responsible for complete mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection engineering design.
This Learning Resource and Research Center is a 24,000-square-foot addition to the existing IFSI class/office building and was designed and built to be compatible with existing structures at the Institute. The addition enhances the existing Fire Service Institute Library, the State's only library dedicated to fire and emergency services, from 1,200 to 6,000 square feet. A portion of the addition houses a NIMS compliant, full-scale, hands-on training facility for Emergency Operations Center and Unified Command Center training. This portion of the facility utilizes the latest in communications and information sharing technology. There are 1,500 square feet dedicated to a Firefighter Memorial Hall/Museum to augment the library and research labs and to serve as a learning resource center for known firefighter fatality situations.
The project includes utility infrastructure upgrades to connect the IFSI facility to the UIUC campus fiber optic communications and electrical power distribution systems. Mechanical systems for the addition were designed to maintain proper temperature and humidity levels to protect the library collections. Energy efficiency of the Learning Resource and Research Center was critical as the addition was submitted for LEED Silver certification.