You are here
Yeh Student Center: LEED Silver (Completed)
No project updates found
- Business Instructional Facility: LEED Platinum
- Illinois Fire Service Institute: LEED Silver
- Yeh Student Center: LEED Silver
- Lincoln Hall Renovation: LEED Platinum
- Bousfield Hall: LEED Platinum
- Chem Annex Renovation and Addition: LEED Gold
- Huff Hall, Khan Annex: LEED Silver
- Ikenberry Dining Hall: LEED Silver
- Illinois Natural History Survey: LEED Silver
- Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory (IBRL): LEED Silver
- NCSA Petascale: LEED Gold
- Natural History Building: LEED Gold
- Nugent Hall: LEED Silver
- State Farm Center: LEED Gold
- Surveying Building: LEED Gold
- Wassaja Hall: LEED Gold
- Wounded Veterans in Higher Education: LEED Gold
The M.T. Geoffrey Yeh Student Center in Newmark Civil Engineering was awarded LEED Silver ceritfication on August 7, 2012. The Yeh Center achieved LEED certification for energy use, lighting, water and material use as well as incorporating a variety of other sustainable strategies, such as a green roof and the generous use of natural light. Chicago-area design firm Teng & Associates Inc. was involved with the project for over a decade and oversaw the design process from start to finish.
The addition included new classrooms, a conference room, meeting rooms for student groups, and a spacious atrium with seating for informal gathering. The goal was to improve the student experience by providing CEE students with a designated “home” on campus where they can attend class, hold student group meetings, study and collaborate on projects, and meet informally.The Yeh Center will also serve as a living laboratory with links to the physical structure where displays fed by wireless sensors will show long-span vibrations, energy consumption, and other unique features of the building directly applicable to the students’ learning experience.
The construction of the Yeh Student Center will fulfill the original vision for Newmark Laboratory, which included plans for an additional structure for classrooms. At that time, budget constraints prevented its realization. Thanks to the generosity of CEE alumni, the department is closer than ever to achieving this vision.
- Heating/cooling medium - from central campus steam and chilled water systems.
- Variable air volume system with economizer and heat recovery wheel.
- Hot water system utilized variable speed pumping.
- CO2 demand control ventilation.
- Direct Digital Control (DDC) system.
- Infrared controlled water conserving plumbing fixtures.
- Day lighting.
- LED exit signs.