You are here

Projects Updates for iCAP Working Group (iWG)

Search

Search tips:

  • This form will search for words in the title OR the description. If you would like to search for the same term(s) across both the title and description, enter the same search term(s) in both fields.
  • This form will search for any of the words you enter in a field, not the exact phrase you enter. If you would like to search for an exact phrase, put double quotes (") around the phrase. For example, if you search for Bike Path you will get results containing either the word Bike OR the word Path, but if you search for "Bike Path" you will get results containing the exact phrase Bike Path.

Pages

  1. PWR019 Sustainable Procurement - Supplanted by ZW002

  2. Energy009 MMR Safety and Security - Submitted

    The Energy iCAP Team made the following recommendation on 2/8/21. The Energy009 MMR Safety and Security is attached, and a summary of the recommendation is as follows. 

    =========

    We recommend that the campus commission a report on safety and security surrounding the micro-modular reactor (MMR).

  3. Energy008 Charging Responsibility for Meeting iCAP Energy Goals - Submitted

    The Energy iCAP Team made the following recommendation on 2/8/21. The Energy008 Charging Responsibility for Meeting iCAP Energy Goals is attached, and a summary of the recommendation is as follows. 

    ===========

    We recommend the following actions:

    • The Office of the Provost provide a clear charge to F&S to meet and/or accelerate energy requirements of the iCAP goal.
    • F&S accept this charge and begin internal planning to meet this goal.
      • This will include ensuring the capability to provide the necessary work on utilities and buildings.
      • It will also include making a budget request for necessary funding.
  4. ZW002 Join NERC Government Recycling Demand Champions - Successful

    Aaron Finder, Assistant Director of the Purchasing and Contracts Management office, sent the following email on 2/9/22:

    ============

    Hi Meredith,

    I have met with NERC a couple time to get a better understanding of NERC and its Government Recycling Demand Champions program. Their Director, Lynn Rubinstein, and I discussed membership levels and the Purchasing and Contracts Management Office will join NERC as a “Supporting Member.”

    Through our membership with NERC, we will also have the ability to participate in 4 active committees:

    1. Plastic & Paper Recycling Markets
    2. Bottle Bill Committee (Charge more for plastic at purchase but receive money back if you recycle)
    3. Glass Committee
    4. Organics – End Markets (Compost)

    There will be limitations on how many participants we can invite to committee meetings or NERC conferences, but Lynn did say I could include at least one committee member (i.e. Tim Stark or Zero Waste Coordinator) if we participate in any event.  

    After we become members, we will become a  State Recycling Organization Advocate within the Government Recycling Demand Champions program. This means we will commit to helping publicize the program and promote purchasing of products with post-consumer resin to their members and the public. While we are developing our EPP Guide, this seems to be the most appropriate classification.

    I’ll let you know once our membership dues have been paid. I’m also sharing a couple documents Lynn provided.

    Let me know if you have any more questions.

    Thanks,

    Aaron M Finder, mba cppb

    ==========

    For future updates, see State Recycling Organization Advocate NERC project page here. 

  5. ZW004 Reusable Dining Containers Program - Successful

    Dr. Jeff Moore, Director of the Beckman Institute, responded to Morgan White, Associate Director for F&S for Sustainability, with the following email on 1/18/22:

    "Thank you, Morgan and Jennifer.  We'll discuss this at our next meeting.  On first glance, it looks like a prudent practice to follow."

    See iWG assessment and transmittal of ZW004 Reusable Dining Containers Program here.
    See recommendation and submittal of ZW004 Reusable Dining Containers Program here.

  6. ZW004 Reusable Dining Containers Program - Transmitted

    Following the completion of iWG assessment for ZW004 Reusable Dining Containers Program, the recommendation was transmitted to Dr. Jeff Moore, Director of the Beckman Institute. 

    =============

    Hello Dr. Moore,

    The Illinois Climate Action Plan (iCAP) Working Group (iWG) recently reviewed recommendation ZW004 from the Zero Waste iCAP Team (formerly known as a SWATeam) to implement the use of reusable dining containers. The iWG discussed this and recommends that Beckman Institute implement the option for reusable containers, as was done at Bevier Hall and University Dining.  Please see the details included in the attached iWG assessment and Zero-Waste iCAP Team recommendation.  

    There are several advocates for reusable containers on campus, and a group of them met with the Zero Waste iCAP Team last July.  The notes are available online at https://icap.sustainability.illinois.edu/project-update/zero-waste-icap-team-reusables-dining-meeting-notes-726 and may provide you with some initial insight into this recommendation.  University Housing’s Dining Services is an excellent resource to assist, and the iWG and Zero Waste iCAP Teams are available, as well. 

    The Formal iCAP Procedures includes a section on campus unit responsibilities upon receipt of a recommendation, and we respectfully request your initial response to this recommendation by February 4, if possible.  If you have any questions regarding this recommendation, we are happy to arrange a zoom call. 

    Sincerely,

    Morgan

    =========

    See iWG assessment of ZW004 Reusable Dining Containers Program attached.

    See iCAP Team Recommendation ZW004 Reusable Dining Containers Program here. 

    Attached Files: 
  7. Trans014 Electric Vehicle Task Force Membership - Submitted

    The Transportation iCAP team submitted the following Electric Vehicle Task Force Membership recommendation on 12/20/21: 

    "We recommend a list of potential members to be considered to participate in the EV Task Force. We suggest Parking to review the list that the Transportation iCAP Team compiled and recommend members as they see fit." 

     

  8. Engagement001: General Education Board Sustainability Sub-Group - Successful

    Bill Stewart, Professor in Department of Recreation, Sport and Tourism and member of the General Education Board, responded to Ximing Cai with the following email on 12/3/21:

    Hi Ximing,

    I’m following up about the Sustainability Gen Ed Working Group that was formed this year.  The Provost has directed the gen ed board to form a working group with the following charge:  Sustainability General Education: A student group is continuing work to develop a proposal to create a Sustainability General Education requirement. This working group will meet with the student group and provide updates to the full board about the status of the proposal as well as feedback about the implications of a new requirement for evaluation of courses.  I’m serving as chair, with the following members of the working group:  Geoffrey Challen, Leon Decosta Dash, Stephen R Downie, James Robert Miller, and Sterling Raskie. 

    We’ve met twice now, with the first meeting focused on discussing our charge along with the history of sustainability education on campus.  We invited Jessica Nicholson along with others from her team to our second meeting to provide an update on the proposal and the intended next steps.  We plan to take back the activity to the gen ed board, and garner feedback from them.  Notes from our recent meeting are attached.

    Just keeping you in the loop here.

    Best,
    Bill

    ================

    For future updates, please see the Sustainability Gen-Ed Requirement project page. 
    See iWG assessment and transmittal of Engagement001 General Education Board Sustainability Sub-Group.
    See original recommendation and submittal of Engagement001 General Education Board SUstainability Sub-Group here. 

  9. LW002 Vet Med Parking Lot Re-Design - Successful

    The Sustainability Council is in support of further discussion about the Vet Med Parking Lot Re-Design and broader rainwater management issues, as discussed at the meeting on November 29, 2021. F&S will get the committee together to discuss broad rainwater management issues, and one of the tasks will be to discuss the Vet Med challenge. For future project updates, visit the Vet Med Parking Lot Re-Design project page here.

    =====================

    See transmittal and iWG assessment of the LW002 Vet Med Parking Lot Re-Design.
    See submittal of LW002 Vet Med Parking Lot Re-Design here.

  10. LW002 Vet Med Parking Lot Re-Design - Transmitted

    Following the completion of iWG assessment for LW002 Vet Med Parking Lot Re-design, the recommendation was transmitted to the Sustainability Sub-Council (11-10-21) and Sustainability Council (11-29-21). 

    See the attached iWG assessment for LW002 Vet Med Parking Lot Re-design.
    See the Land and Water recommendation of LW002 Vet Med Parking Lot Re-Design. 

  11. Engagement001: General Education Board Sustainability Sub-Group - Transmitted

    Following the completion of iWG assessment for Engagement001 General Education Board Sustainability Sub-group, the recommendation was transmitted to the Sustainability Sub-Council (4-5-21) and Sustainability Council (4-28-21). 

    ===========================

    Dr. Ximing Cai sent the following message to Dr. Bill Stewart on 4-14-21: 

    Dear Dr. Stewart:

    Greetings! I’m writing about the ongoing student senate resolution on sustainability education. As you noticed, the Engagement SWATeam submitted a recommendation to support the resolution. Thanks for your comments as attached to the end of the recommendation. The iCAP Working Group (iWG) discussed the recommendation and concluded that “The iWG supports the creation of a General Education Board task committee to discuss feasibility and implementation of a sustainability gen-ed requirement as soon as possible. This is in support of the ISG resolution, which was approved February 2020.”

    The Engagement SWATeam & iWG recommendation will be presented to the Sustainability Council meeting on April 28th as a discussion item, which will go after the introduction of the resolution by a student senate representative. iSEE Interim Director Madhu Khanna and I would like to invite you to join the discussion, given that you’re familiar with the resolution, the Engagement SWATeam recommendation and your membership with General Education Board.  In particular, you’re expected to answer some questions from the Council members, as well as provide relevant information.

    We assume this effort will eventually go through the Senate mechanism. iSSE/iCAP hopes to show our support & engagement since it is consistent to some major education objectives of iCAP 2020. We also hope the discussion at the Council meeting chaired by Chancellor with attendance of Provost and Deans will speed up the process.

    The meeting is at 10:00-11:30 on April 28th. The particular discussion will take about 20 minutes. I will tell you later the appropriate time at which the discussion will start.

    Best regards

    Ximing Cai

    iSEE Associate Director on Campus Sustainability

    ===========================

    See iWG assessment of Engagement001 General Education Board Sustainability Sub-group attached.
    See original recommendation and submittal of Engagement001 General Education Board SUstainability Sub-Group here. 

  12. Energy006 Integrate iCAP Goals into Research/Learning Labs - Successful

    The Sustainability Council is in support of the formation of a Green Labs Committee, as discussed at the meeting on November 29, 2021. Jan Novakofski, Associate Vice Chancellor for Research, also expressed support. A training component and Certified Greener Campus Program opportunities will be two items to include in committee discussions. For future updates, see the Green Labs Committee project page. 

    =====================

    See transmittal and iWG assessment of Energy006 Integrate iCAP Goals into Research/Learning Labs here. 
    See submittal of Energy006 Integrate iCAP Goals into Research/Learning Labs here.

  13. Energy006 Integrate iCAP Goals into Research/Learning Labs - Transmitted

    Following the completion of iWG assessment for Energy006 Integrate iCAP Goals into Research/Learning Labs, the recommendation was transmitted and discussed at the Sustainability Council meeting on November 29, 2021.

    See iWG assessment of Energy006 Integrate iCAP Goals into Research/Learning Labs attached.
    See submittal of Energy006 Integrate iCAP Goals into Research/Learning Labs here.

    Attached Files: 
  14. Energy007 Implementation of Comprehensive Energy Plan - Successful

    The Sustainability Council is in support of the development of a Clean Energy Plan, as discussed at the meeting on November 29, 2021. Madhu Khanna and Ehab Kamarah agreed to work together on behalf of iSEE and F&S to move this forward and go through the RFP process.

    ===============

    See transmittal and iWG assessment of Energy007 Implementation of Comprehensive Energy Plan here.
    See submittal of Energy007 Implementation of Comprehensive Energy Plan here.

    For future updates, see the Energy Planning Document project page.

  15. Energy007 Implementation of Comprehensive Energy Plan - Transmitted

    Following the completion of iWG assessment for Energy007 Implementation of Comprehensive Energy Plan, the recommendation was transmitted and discussed at the Sustainability Sub-Council and Sustainability Council meeting on November 29, 2021.

    See iWG assessment of Energy007 Implementation of Comprehensive Energy Plan attached.
    See submittal of Energy007 Implementation of Comprehensive Energy Plan here.

    Attached Files: 
  16. Sustainability Sub-Council Meeting 11/10/21

    The Sustainability Sub-Council met on November 10, 2021 in preparation of the Sustainability Council meeting. The primary agenda items included: 

    • iCAP 2020 process reminder
    • Energy007 Comprehensive Energy Planning Document 
    • LW002 and Rainwater Funding Issues
    • Sustainability priorities and next steps

    The slide deck is attached with meeting minutes to follow.

  17. Energy004 - Energy Conservation Funding - Successful

    The Energy004 recommendation was discussed at the spring 2021 Sustainability Sub-Council meeting and was then sent to UES to address. Rob Roman, F&S Director of Energy and Utility Services, sent the following response:

    “UES has had the opportunity to have discussions with the College of ACES and the Provost office regarding a large ESCO project being performed at the ACES facilities. This project has received a priority status for the Energy Performance Contracting group, who will begin working with the College on scope development of the project. The Provost Budget Office remains supportive of the ESCO initiatives.”

    See iWG assessment and transmittal of Energy004 - Energy Conservation Funding here.
    See iCAP Team submittal and recommendation of Energy004 - Energy Conservation Funding here. 

    For additional progress on this effort, see Energy Performance Contracting / ESCO.

  18. iWG Meeting Minutes 9-22-21

    Attached are the meeting minutes from 9-22-21. The agenda focused on iWG iCAP 2020 priorities, Council/Sub-council updates, ZW004 and LW002 next steps, an overview of campus sustainability month, and updates from the student groups. 

    Attached Files: 
  19. ZW003 GreenerOffice Delivery Service Enrollment - Successful

    Jenny Kokini, Managing Director of iSEE, responded to Morgan White with the following email:

    --

    Dear Morgan,

    iSEE will be happy to pilot the GreenerOffice Delivery Service offered by Office Depot.

    As a matter of fact, Amy, tried to place her first order today to Office Depot using the GreenerOffice Delivery Service. But no such option was given.  So, she went to office depot outside the iBuy and found the page to sign up for.  A form needs to be filled out.  Amy put a service desk request ticket with purchasing to see if this can be implemented at University level given that it references University account.  If Purchasing rejects filling out the form giving campus level GreenerOffice Delivery option, then Amy will fill out the form giving just iSEE the option of the GreenerOffice Delivery Service.

    Best wishes,

    Jenny

    --

    See iWG assessment and transmittal of ZW003 GreenerOffice Delivery Service Enrollment here.
    See iCAP Team Recommendation ZW003 - GreenerOffice Delivery Service Enrollment here.

Pages

Subscribe to